Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
holdit
Connoisseur
holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, IPad
Embedding fonts question

AS I move along absorbing a little more in this epub world I learn 2 things and forget 3 which is why I write this.

I see two ways of converting a word doc to an epub with two different results.
1. open the docx in Calibre, convert to epub and open in Sigil.

I get two stylesheets, decent styling and the pages broken up into sections.

2. open the converted word docx html file in Sigil

I get no external stylesheet and no colored headers ( to name a few) and ONE page for the document

It seems using method one gives me better results but I now need to embed a font into the file and use it ONLY in a section on page4.

I already added the font into the folder, I see its in the manifest already but I need to know how to assign the font to JUST the paragraph I need it to display in and not the entire file.

anyone?

thx

ht.
holdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post
AS I move along absorbing a little more in this epub world I learn 2 things and forget 3 which is why I write this.

I get no external stylesheet and no colored headers ( to name a few) and ONE page for the document

It seems using method one gives me better results but I now need to embed a font into the file and use it ONLY in a section on page4.

I already added the font into the folder, I see its in the manifest already but I need to know how to assign the font to JUST the paragraph I need it to display in and not the entire file.

anyone?

thx

ht.
You just need to create a separate style
Here is a stylesheet I created to use with 'one page' (sound familiar )
Just ADD a link to the sheet on that page.
This sheet is used in conjunction with the normal one, so the selector names need to be unique
Attached Files
File Type: txt letter.css.txt (640 Bytes, 175 views)

Last edited by theducks; 02-22-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Attachment added
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do you REALLY need to imitate the original font? Won't the standard serif and sans-serif fonts provided by every e-Reader do perfectly well?

"Convert" is a complicated path full of pitfalls.
I suggest rather that you strip the text back to the plainest possible form, drop it into Sigil, split into chapters, add a Header style to chapter headings...you're just about done. Let the reader decide on font size and style, paragraph indents etc., just as it MUST decide on line length, page breaks.. You aren't designing a book, you're making text available.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
To embed and use a font for a specific paragraph, take a look at the tutorial for this in my signature.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Although I'm definitely an adherent of the "less is best" policy, I can't really get behind the idea that ebook creators are simply "delivering text." If that were the case, there'd be no need for programs like Sigil--or even ePub for that matter.

I imagine publishers would be more than happy to turn ebooks into nothing but "text delivery", but as long as there's authors attached to these pesky little buggers (not to mention a subset of readers who aren't willing to give up on typography entirely), then there's always going be a certain stylistic aspect to ebook creation.

And as long as you CAN achieve certain typographic effects relatively simply in most of today's formats, then questions like "HOW do I achieve what I want (or have been asked) to do" deserve answers that consist of more than just "don't do that." Especially in a forum dedicated to a program that allows you to do exactly what the OP asked about.

There's nothing wrong with embedding fonts to achieve certain effects for certain special sections of books that can benefit from it. "Ebook" doesn't have to be the ascetic zeigeist that some seem to think is its ordained destiny. There's more than enough room for a bit of subdued flair.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Do you REALLY need to imitate the original font? Won't the standard serif and sans-serif fonts provided by every e-Reader do perfectly well?

"Convert" is a complicated path full of pitfalls.
I suggest rather that you strip the text back to the plainest possible form, drop it into Sigil, split into chapters, add a Header style to chapter headings...you're just about done. Let the reader decide on font size and style, paragraph indents etc., just as it MUST decide on line length, page breaks.. You aren't designing a book, you're making text available.
If you are delivering 'text', why use anything other than mono-spaced ASCII in a TXT file?

EPUB is about 'Books'... Styled words, charts and Pictures of all kinds.

That style sheet allowed me to show a 'Handwritten Letter' without resorting to a Image. The benefits are fully rescaleable documents
Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That style sheet allowed me to show a 'Handwritten Letter' without resorting to a Image. The benefits are fully rescaleable documents
Yes, you can. But PLEASE don't! Or just restrict the cursive font to "Dear Cathy" at the top, "Yours, Heathcliffe" at the bottom. Display fonts are not for body text. Because they are hard to read.

Go to your (real) bookshelf. Most of the books there are laid out with one heading font, one body font, one paragraph style. Because it's all that's needed.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Yes, you can. But PLEASE don't! Or just restrict the cursive font to "Dear Cathy" at the top, "Yours, Heathcliffe" at the bottom. Display fonts are not for body text. Because they are hard to read.

Go to your (real) bookshelf. Most of the books there are laid out with one heading font, one body font, one paragraph style. Because it's all that's needed.
Don't listen to this. Use the font for the entire letter if that's what you want. But when you do choose font(s) to be embedded, please try them out on an eInk Reader (without a frontlight) to make sure the font is heavy enough to work. A lot of embedded fonts are poorly chosen and don't look good on an eInk screen. A good example of this is Adobe Garamond Pro. It looks fine in print and on an LCD screen. But it looks poor with eInk.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post

anyone?

thx

ht.
The best way to do what you want is both option 1 and then followed up by option 2.

Take the converted ePub, load it into Sigil and clean up the mess. Word will leave a mess and Calibre is not going to have cleaned it up when converting. After you've cleaned up the mess, save the ePub without your embedded fonts and make a copy. Then you can play around with the fonts until it looks good on an eInk screen.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't listen to this. Use the font for the entire letter if that's what you want. But when you do choose font(s) to be embedded, please try them out on an eInk Reader (without a frontlight) to make sure the font is heavy enough to work. A lot of embedded fonts are poorly chosen and don't look good on an eInk screen. A good example of this is Adobe Garamond Pro. It looks fine in print and on an LCD screen. But it looks poor with eInk.
Knock me over!
JS did not say No

I agree 100% test on E-Ink.

Way back in High School Print shop , I learned that too many font faces was a bad thing. The instructors idea of too many was more than 6 on "B" size (school newspaper). Multiple Display Ad's excepted (within the Ad, the rule applies).
Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Unless you are trying to create the world's first e-ink ransom note!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Place 2 Pounds of Catnip in a unmarked paper bag. Don't tell my owner.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
There are fonts for that.

http://www.fontspace.com/kiddiefonts/kidnap-note
http://www.1001fonts.com/ransom-note-fonts.html
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/li.../ransom%20note
http://www.fonts2u.com/ransom-note.font
Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Place 2 Pounds of Catnip in a unmarked paper bag. Don't tell my owner.
I would have thought a case of sardines and a can opener in case the key breaks off.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would have thought a case of sardines and a can opener in case the key breaks off.
Have U seen my Claws?