Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
madamepsi
Edge User

Cool USB to Ethernet Adapter

Does anyone know if a generic USB to Ethernet adapter will work, or do I have to spend $29.95 and get the entourange version???? I don't want to plug in the one I have without verifying it won't send a back signal that is alien to the Pocket Edge.

Madame

Old 12-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
OncTech
Edge User

Not necessary any generic one will work, but you don't have to buy it from Entourage. The model is a StarTech USB2106S, which you can get off eBay for $15-21 shipped. That's how I got mine and it works great.

Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
Snow
Edge User

The one we sell on our store is what we officially support. We've seen cases of generic adapters that have different chip sets in them bought from Radio Shack/ebay/amazon/etc.. not working.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
madamepsi
Edge User

Thumbs up Thanks!

I will check out the model I have on hand right now. That way I can spend my bux on books.

Madamepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OncTech View Post
Not necessary any generic one will work, but you don't have to buy it from Entourage. The model is a StarTech USB2106S, which you can get off eBay for $15-21 shipped. That's how I got mine and it works great.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
k.ewin
Edge User

I have tried various generic adapters without success. This includes a levelone USB-0301 and the Toshiba Dynadoc V. Especially the Dynadoc is a pity, because the included graphics adapter is DisplayLink certified and works well with the Edge. The new wireless USB Dynadoc W20 could be the ideal companion to use the Edge on meetings with wireless connection to the projector and local Ethernet.

Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
borisb
Edge User

As Snow indicated, generic adapters will not work. You must see "StarTech USB2106S" (or reference "USB2106S") in the model number or description of the part.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Chubulor
Edge User

I think boris means that it's not guaranteed by Entourage to work unless it is StarTech USB2106S. Some other adapters may work, but you probably won't know until you test them.

While not "officially supported", the Trendnet TU-ET100C adapter also works on my Edge, though I'm told it creates a bottleneck due to not being USB 2.0 (they had it on clearance at walmart for $7, so I took my chances and got lucky). Trendnet also has a USB2.0 version (TU2-ET100C) but I haven't tested that one on the Edge.

Last edited by Chubulor; 01-06-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
sarah11918
Edge User

I was just looking into this because I got the "Accessories on sale" email. So first of all, a thread bump since it's now only $20 instead of $30.

After looking around briefly, even the generic ones on Amazon.com appear to be OS specific. The Trendnets seem to be made for PC (not Mac OS X) but someone in the comments reports being able to download additional drivers to make it work on the newest Macbook Air.

It's too bad because we now have no computers with ethernet ports when we're on the road, having both switched to Macbook Airs. The edge doesn't have one and my N810 doesn't have one. I was hoping to find a generic piece of hardware that could be used with either the edge or the macs, just in case we ever need it on the road. There have been a couple of times where it would have been handy, but at least we have a travel router so if we absolutely need to connect via ethernet, we plug that in, then connect a machine through its wireless signal. But if they're so device-specific, I just might pass on one.

But if you want one, at least it's a healthy sale price now!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User

The StarTech USB ethernet adapter is available for about $10 plus shipping in Canada from www.directcanada.com, a site I've used for a while now with great success: http://www.directcanada.com/products...CH.COM - DT SB.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
STL Droid
Edge User

Hi all,
I just bought a USB Ethernet port (StarTech USB2106S) from NewEgg as I needed it NOW and the overnight shipping from Entourage was a bit pricy (sorry).

Anyway, I plugged it in at work to a spare ethernet port under my desk and lo and behold...nothing.

So I went (after thinking a bit) to Windows Start RUN and typed CMD. In the resultant dos window I typed ipconfig and hit return.
I noted the default gateway ip address listed.

I then went to the PE and under the connections area for Ethernet LAN, entered the resulting numbers into the Gateway field.

Then I wwnt to the browser and there was Google, up and running.
I was also able to go to Library/Store and download an app.

So it may not be the gadget but the ability to connect.

I havent't tried this at home yet, I don't know if I need an IP ther or not, but if I do, I'll use the above method to get the number using my home computer. I am using my wi-fi router at home, but I want the ethernet for hotels and clients that don't have wifi access..

Have a great weekend,

Old 03-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
borisb
Edge User

Using ipconfig and copying the IP addresses can be tricky because at least the assigned IP needs to be different for each machine (the gateway, etc., would be the same). Most networks today are set up with automatic assignment of IP addresses via DHCP, so it should be plug and play unless the network administrator has disabled it to enforce a security access policy.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
STL Droid
Edge User

I just used the gateway as I assumed, prhaps incorrectly, that it would be a "common" IP address for general access. I am not a network guru... :-)

I did add he mumber found to the Gateway field on the PE and got acess. As I am a pragmatist, it may not be the right or best way, but, hey, it worked!