Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Free - "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie" - on prostate cancer testing

This is a recent Australian academic study on prostate cancer in men and the debate over whether or not testing is of any value.

It is a free download in PDF format from: http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/handle/2123/6835

As a man in his early 60's this is a subject I am interested in. If you are at my stage of life: pondering the value of intrusive tests, medicine or surgery with unpleasant side effects, just for the sake of living a few years longer, then maybe download the book and wade through it. Be warned, though - this is a dry, academic study, heavy on statistics. - it isn't the latest Tom Clancy - not for entertainment.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Thanks, subject that interests me also!

Your link not working for me - kept timing out - so I just went to the main page, did a search and got it at once.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
This is a discussion I've been reading about recently and as a 63 y/old male, it's one I'm highly interested in. Thanks...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Could not even get the search to work in Firefox - found it using IE.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
AHMavrick
Enthusiast
AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
As a prostate cancer survivor myself (going on 2 years now) and the husband of a breast cancer survivor I have a couple of opinions on the subject.

You can go through life with an ignorance is bliss concept and accept what ever term of years you get. You can also go through life accepting that medicine can and does add more years to life by taking advantage of it. You do have an annual physical right? Why, if you are not concerned about your health? If remaining ignorant is the goal then there is no need for regular check ups, medical care and repairs of trauma or the ravages of disease. After all you are just going to die anyhow, right?

If it is fear of loss of sexual function, ask yourself some questions. Is sex the entire focus of your life? Is there nothing else you live for? How much sex do you expect to have after you die from prostate cancer because you ignored it?

Frankly speaking, cancer sucks. It is not a pleasant way to go, neither is it nice to watch as another dies that way. If you don't care, don't get checked. That painful way of dieing has to be more pleasant than a blood test and a rectal exam, right?

My wife had surgery, chemo and radiation treatment over 10 years ago for an aggressive form of breast cancer. A side effect of the chemo was the loss of sexual function due to vaginal atrophy a year after treatment. She was 50 at the time and I was 46. We had been married only a year and a half when she was diagnosed. I loved her then and still love her now in spite of the loss of that part of our life. There is more to life than the sexual aspect. We fully realize that she would have had less than 4 years to live had she ignored the cancer and I would be a widower with some really bad memories about how she died. Instead we travel the country full time. Spoil the grand kids and great grand kids and have fun while sharing each others company for as long as we can. We took an oath and honor it.

Guys, get the check up. It is not that bad. If you get a positive result get the biopsy. It's no fun but still not as bad as some dental treatments I have had in the past. If you have cancer explore the means to treat it and follow through. At worst after treatment you will lose sexual function but still be able to enjoy every other part of life's experiences. That is by no means a given result of treatment either. There are many of us survivors who carry on as before.

Everyone in this life dies. Life is a full contact sport and no one gets out alive. Now are you going to quit the game early out of fear or are you going to play as long as you can and as hard as you can until the game is over. In this case it's kind of like having an overtime option. Play or quit. Make a choice.
AHMavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Apologies if people are having trouble my link. It still works instantly for me. Maybe it is because I'm in Australia???
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Worked for me first time.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:59 AM   #8
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Apologies if people are having trouble my link. It still works instantly for me. Maybe it is because I'm in Australia???
Just tried the link again it worked OK this time - guess there were a lot of people read your post & temporally clogged the server trying to get it. (I'm in Europe)
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMavrick View Post
As a prostate cancer survivor myself (going on 2 years now) and the husband of a breast cancer survivor I have a couple of opinions on the subject.

You can go through life with an ignorance is bliss concept and accept what ever term of years you get. You can also go through life accepting that medicine can and does add more years to life by taking advantage of it. You do have an annual physical right? Why, if you are not concerned about your health? If remaining ignorant is the goal then there is no need for regular check ups, medical care and repairs of trauma or the ravages of disease. After all you are just going to die anyhow, right?

If it is fear of loss of sexual function, ask yourself some questions. Is sex the entire focus of your life? Is there nothing else you live for? How much sex do you expect to have after you die from prostate cancer because you ignored it?

Frankly speaking, cancer sucks. It is not a pleasant way to go, neither is it nice to watch as another dies that way. If you don't care, don't get checked. That painful way of dieing has to be more pleasant than a blood test and a rectal exam, right?

My wife had surgery, chemo and radiation treatment over 10 years ago for an aggressive form of breast cancer. A side effect of the chemo was the loss of sexual function due to vaginal atrophy a year after treatment. She was 50 at the time and I was 46. We had been married only a year and a half when she was diagnosed. I loved her then and still love her now in spite of the loss of that part of our life. There is more to life than the sexual aspect. We fully realize that she would have had less than 4 years to live had she ignored the cancer and I would be a widower with some really bad memories about how she died. Instead we travel the country full time. Spoil the grand kids and great grand kids and have fun while sharing each others company for as long as we can. We took an oath and honor it.

Guys, get the check up. It is not that bad. If you get a positive result get the biopsy. It's no fun but still not as bad as some dental treatments I have had in the past. If you have cancer explore the means to treat it and follow through. At worst after treatment you will lose sexual function but still be able to enjoy every other part of life's experiences. That is by no means a given result of treatment either. There are many of us survivors who carry on as before.

Everyone in this life dies. Life is a full contact sport and no one gets out alive. Now are you going to quit the game early out of fear or are you going to play as long as you can and as hard as you can until the game is over. In this case it's kind of like having an overtime option. Play or quit. Make a choice.
Simply outstanding post AHMaverick! Well stated, and very true. Your wife is a very lucky woman to have a husband who chooses to take care of himself.

Ignorance is not bliss, ignorance is a very slow, PAINFUL death that everyone has to suffer through.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:20 AM   #10
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMavrick View Post

The newer surgeries for prostate cancer also have amazing results. The robot-assisted radical prostatectomy done by an experienced surgeon has a hospital stay of *one day*, catheter removal in 7 days and return of full sexual function by 24 months post-op in 90% of men who were potent pre-operatively.

My Dad will be having one of these done in January, so I have researched the subject exhaustively, both to find the best procedure and the best doctor.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote