Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
dedgod
Enthusiast
dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle PW2
E-ink display fades with use?

I purchased PRS-T1s for my wife and I nearly two years ago. Since then, I have used mine nearly daily and my wife has stopped using hers a while ago. I have recently compared the same page on both readers and mine has considerably poorer contrast. They both are using the default settings.

Has anyone else noticed this?
dedgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I've heard of it. I suggest you use a bold font to improve contrast.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Sounds like it's time to swap with your wife LOL!

I have a Sony 650--which I got three years ago. I also have a refurbished 350 that I picked up a little over a year ago. I use both almost daily, and don't notice any fading--of course I don't have anything to really compare them to either.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Don't forget too, that even brand new the two screens would not necessarily have been identical in appearance. There are differences between them simply because they're two different units.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
dedgod
Enthusiast
dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

I also have a PRS-600 which looks very faded. Some of this is attributable to the touchscreen layer, but now I wonder if fading may be somewhat inherent to these screens.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
The PRS-600 is known to have some screen defects, in particular when you do a screen refresh (choosing next/previous page) in full sunlight. A new refresh outside direct sunlight solves this faded display.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
dave45
dave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
I have a PRS-300 which loses contrast in full sun, but the PRS-T1 I took on holiday to Spain was fine in the sun... until I dropped it and cracked the screen !
dave45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My oldest 350 is now closer to 3 years old, and the text hasn't faded on it at all. As already said, you will notice screen differences between even identical models, but it's not normal that the text starts to fade with age.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
dedgod
Enthusiast

After further observations, I conclude that the screen doesn't fade from use, but it does fade as the battery discharges.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've actually never seen that happen either, and my reader often get down to the last bar, and a few times I was reading on it until it finally shut down on its own for lack of power. Text was as dark as when it had a full battery. I wonder if that can happen though if the battery is starting to die out? Perhaps a battery replacement might get it working like new again?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Can a T-1 battery be replaced? If so, how?
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
Can a T-1 battery be replaced? If so, how?
You'd have to disassemble the device to get to the battery and be handy with a soldering iron.

I'm not sure how easy a replacement battery is to get, but AnotherCat supplied the part number in another thread for getting it from Sony.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
The battery is a 3.6Whr Li-Ion one and the Sony Part No. is A-1832-983-A; as far as I know it is not a standard form factor. It should be available from Sony, and maybe from other places, but I have not had any need to look: someone else may have a lead, but otherwise having the part number should give a lead though if not going to Sony.

In case not known how to get into the device (and no responsibility taken by me in the following ) there are a lot of internal clips inside each edge. With the reader face down on a cloth or similar on a flat hard surface use a unclipping tool (or make one from a thin piece of rigid plastic) and start at one top corner and work along the top, then one side starting from the top, other side working from the top, then the bottom.

As you say, 3 wires to solder to board.
Here's a link to the device's service manual...
http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...0989329901.pdf

...and what it looks like disassembled.
http://tech-vaults.blogspot.com/2012...t1-reader.html

Sony will do the replacement for you, but it's around $70 according to the thread mentioned above. For $30 more you can get a brand new T2. :shrugs:
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
yikes! Definitely a "don't try this at home, boys and girls" job for me!

Plumadona
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
i also have a prs-t1 and have only noted some fading while reading under direct sunlight. My head was casting a shadow over half the screen, and when i changed the page i was reading, the half hit b sunlight had a lighter contract than the one under my shadow, but in general, the screen seems the same since the first day i used it.

maybe it could be related to battery and the voltage/current it can hold. try using it plugged and the compare both screens.
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote