Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
calail
Enthusiast
calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW; android; PC
iPad Mini : Mobi files (with Kindle app) : Dropbox

I need a little help, so I've come to the experts!

My friend has an iPad mini, and I need to share a few books with her (they are not protected).

So, I'm using Dropbox to upload the books from my PC, then the Dropbox for iPad app to get them to the iPad mini... Here's my issue.

In Dropbox, I have to open/download the file, then select "open with" Kindle, then open the file, close the Kindle app, open Dropbox, and go to the next book. I can't figure out a way to open/download multiple files from the Dropbox account, nor can I figure out a way to default the "open with" function for .mobi files to the Kindle app...

Is there an easier way? Any help would be appreciated. Thx.
calail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Not sure if I completely follow, but I have two comments:

1) When switching between apps, you don't have to close one/open the other. You should be able to do a 'four finger swipe' to move between apps without opening or closing multiple times. Still cumbersome - but easier than tabbing out each time.

2) You could also bypass the whole Dropbox thing and just email the files. Your friend will have an email address associated with each kindle device or kindle app.

She can look those addresses up by simply going to Amazon.com, then selecting "Manage my Kindle" from the "Your Account" menu and finally going to "Personal Document Settings" (which should be somewhere on the left side of the screen). Note also that she would have to add your email address under the "Approved Personal Document Email List" on the same screen.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
calail
Enthusiast
calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW; android; PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
1) When switching between apps, you don't have to close one/open the other. You should be able to do a 'four finger swipe' to move between apps without opening or closing multiple times. Still cumbersome - but easier than tabbing out each time.
since I don't use an iPad myself, I had no idea this was possible. My friend isn't a techie, so probably didn't know either Thx for the tip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
2) You could also bypass the whole Dropbox thing and just email the files. Your friend will have an email address associated with each kindle device or kindle app.
I considered using email, but had hoped for a quicker method... I've got several dozen books to share...

Thanks for the ideas however!
calail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Those 'four finger gestures' were patched in sometimes last year and many users seem to not be aware of them. Apple didn't do a great job advertising them.

Hope you and your friend find a better solution - if you do, please let me know. I often send books to my mother and I do it by email.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by calail View Post
I considered using email, but had hoped for a quicker method... I've got several dozen books to share...

Thanks for the ideas however!
Can you use a program like DiskAid to transfer the books from your computer to her iPad. You would install DiskAid on your computer and then transfer the books to the correct folder on the iPad.

Another solution may be to use Calibre. I haven't used Calibre to transfer books to the iPad, but I would think it would work.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Can you use a program like DiskAid to transfer the books from your computer to her iPad. You would install DiskAid on your computer and then transfer the books to the correct folder on the iPad.

Another solution may be to use Calibre. I haven't used Calibre to transfer books to the iPad, but I would think it would work.

Carol
I get the impression that they are looking for some sort of wireless transfer.

Another way would be to send the files as email attachments to an address that the mini's email client uses, or indeed to use the Kindle app's email address for delivering personal documents (after approving the sender address).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote