Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #61
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'm on Geralt's side on this. If you see someone behaving in a baffling manner, I see nothing wrong in trying to understand why they are behaving that way. We are all human beings wired in more or less the same way. Thinking "Well, that's just them, it doesn't apply to me" is also baffling to me.

I just read through some of the Reading Snobbery thread, and someone (AndrewH?) brought up the issue of insecurity when applying snobbery to others. It strikes me that this bad-book reading person may also be insecure; enjoying feeling above the books she's trashing, but not feeling up to reading "better" books. I could be completely wrong; it's just an idea that fits the behaviour.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #62
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
(deleted - wrong thread)

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 03-24-2013 at 04:55 PM.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #63
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
I always appreciate to read a really skillful thrashing of a book, even if I don't share the opinion. A well written negative review is certainly much more informative than 5 star guff like "I loved it!! Best book ever. Fast delivery, too!".
On Amazon I tend to read the 1 star reviews first before I proceed to the 5 star reviews. Sometimes the very type of bad reviews is a recommendation for the book.
I am sure that I am not alone in my guilty pleasure of enjoying bad reviews. Germany's best known book critic once remarked that his book with very negative reviews outsold his book(s) with very positive reviews by scores.
There is a difference between a witty savaging of a book by a critic who knows what they are doing, and a mean spirited dumping by barely literate cretins with a cob up their ass.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #64
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I always appreciate to read a really skillful thrashing of a book, even if I don't share the opinion. A well written negative review is certainly much more informative than 5 star guff like "I loved it!! Best book ever. Fast delivery, too!".
On Amazon I tend to read the 1 star reviews first before I proceed to the 5 star reviews. Sometimes the very type of bad reviews is a recommendation for the book.
I am sure that I am not alone in my guilty pleasure of enjoying bad reviews. Germany's best known book critic once remarked that his book with very negative reviews outsold his book(s) with very positive reviews by scores.
I too gravitate towards the 1 star reviews, but I don't really enjoy a trashing that much. If someone feels really negatively about a book I want to know why in case it's the same kind of thing that will annoy me, but I don't often find it amusing.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #65
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
I tend to read the 1, 3, and 5 star ratings (some may call me odd). I want a broad perspective as to what people thought. Sometimes people are not happy unless they are complaining about something. Perhaps the subject of this thread enjoys the 1-star reviews that she gives and thus continues to read that particular genre. Who knows. Whatever makes her tick.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #66
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'm on Geralt's side on this. If you see someone behaving in a baffling manner, I see nothing wrong in trying to understand why they are behaving that way. We are all human beings wired in more or less the same way. Thinking "Well, that's just them, it doesn't apply to me" is also baffling to me.

I just read through some of the Reading Snobbery thread, and someone (AndrewH?) brought up the issue of insecurity when applying snobbery to others. It strikes me that this bad-book reading person may also be insecure; enjoying feeling above the books she's trashing, but not feeling up to reading "better" books. I could be completely wrong; it's just an idea that fits the behaviour.
That's just you.

If I tried to understand why the rest of you do weird stuff, I'd never have time for anything else. But since you brought it up...

Anger can get the blood flowing and spice up an otherwise drab life. Adrenaline addiction can also lead to gambling, extreme sports, fighting, and more.

Some may be have a need to be a savior. Torturing themselves to protect others from the depredations of those horrendous books.

There are a plethora of reasons why folks might be doing this. Or maybe they're just nuts.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #67
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
That's just you.

If I tried to understand why the rest of you do weird stuff, I'd never have time for anything else. But since you brought it up...

Anger can get the blood flowing and spice up an otherwise drab life. Adrenaline addiction can also lead to gambling, extreme sports, fighting, and more.

Some may be have a need to be a savior. Torturing themselves to protect others from the depredations of those horrendous books.

There are a plethora of reasons why folks might be doing this. Or maybe they're just nuts.
Well, that makes it me and you.

I think they would be nuts reading many entire books just for the first reason. Anger and adrenaline are emotional sprints. Masochism has staying power, as does the smugness I originally suggested. See, it _is_ interesting, isn't it?

Besides, if you don't have time to consider other peoples' behaviour, do you have time for reading fiction?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #68
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I've been a Dune fan for many years and have read some the new books written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Although these books are not at the same literary level as Frank Herbert's writings these book are entertaining and well written. After reading a few of these books I joined various Dune forums and was surprised at the level of opposition a few readers had towards these books. Why people would read books by authors they dislike is puzzling indeed. . .
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #69
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
My mother must read every book she starts. Often she complains about a book ad finitum. I tell her life is to short, just read something else, but she is compelled to finish them.

The person in question hated 64 out of 172 books, about 30%, which doesn't seem outrageous if she is adventurous in her reading. Higher than me as 90% of my reading is stuff I know I will like.

Too many books, too little time.
Exactly. I've read a lot of bad books over the years I guess, but I usually don't finish them. I've read way more books I like, because I know what I like and I look for those types of books. I'm picky.

Also, I don't think I've ever hated a movie I've gone to see in theaters, either, because I can usually "read between the lines" of the advertising and tell if it'll be good or not.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #70
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I've been a Dune fan for many years and have read some the new books written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Although these books are not at the same literary level as Frank Herbert's writings these book are entertaining and well written. After reading a few of these books I joined various Dune forums and was surprised at the level of opposition a few readers had towards these books. Why people would read books by authors they dislike is puzzling indeed. . .
There seems to be a group of Dune fanboys who have taken over the Amazon listings too. Like you, I don't dislike the newer books. They're interesting, fun reads and I have yet to feel ripped off or somesuch. Frankly I think maybe only 3 of Herbert's original books were worth a damn as it is, I certainly don't see him as some untouchable master.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #71
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i have put 'poor' reviews and also lots of 5 stars i love to read but i also say life is too short for a bad book if i do not like it i just hit delete
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #72
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
This was a conclusion I came to after accidently coming upon a woman who reads so she can bitch about it. Excuse my language but that's what it is.
This person (who I don't know) has 172 ratings on goodreads with 2.8 average rate. 65 out of those 164 (read books) are 1 and 2 stars very negative, very complaining in nature reviews. That is 39.6% of the books she has read, she absolutely hated them.

My mind was blown.

Why the hell would you read to hate? And don't you have enough experience and sense to choose books for you which you WILL like?

This is especially true of fantasy books she read because that genre is interesting to me.

1 star books include

Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)

I wont even list them all, or the other 2 star reviews that aren't any better. Clearly this women doesn't like fantasy. Why the hell is she keep reading it??

She is presumptuous, arrogant and ultra hard core (lol) feminist in her reviews. I honestly felt confused by her understanding of female characters. According to what I read from her, all female characters should be strong, independent, nonsexual creatures that turn men into pulp at the first sign of flirtatious behavior or god forbid sexual act.
(I'm a girl btw, but this kind of thinking blows my mind)

Have any of you come across this kind of reader? What do you think about this? I'm mostly just confused
You may have accidentally stumbled across this woman, but I will contend that you digitally stalked her -- just so you could post this. Just so you could encourage others who had not discovered this person to hate her too. Are you feeling the irony?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #73
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
You may have accidentally stumbled across this woman, but I will contend that you digitally stalked her -- just so you could post this. Just so you could encourage others who had not discovered this person to hate her too. Are you feeling the irony?
It's not like it takes much effort to click on someone's reviewer profile and see his/her other reviews.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #74
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I don't hate anybody, much less somebody online. I was puzzled by the behavior and wanted to discuss it. Like Yamada says to see anybody's reviews on GR is a click or two away. Not exactly a stalking endeavor

Speaking of Dune fanboys, that behavior I can get. I been guilty of being a fanboy myself. But really not liking something and continuing to read the genre, writing trash reviews at the same time, mind-boggling.
Maybe its like a hobby for this person. Then I could kinda get it O__O
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #75
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I know a man who fancies himself a discriminating gourmet and a restaurant critic. The problem is he has never once given a restaurant a good review. "Oh, my god, I wouldn't take my dog there," is his standard comment and he doesn't even have a dog.

I get some of the same from people who read. They'll never write a book but those who do write are, in their view, horrible.

And, I've dealt with murderers, pedophiles, and rapists when I was working. We are not all wired pretty much the same.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote