Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Maximum number of notes per book?

Is there a maximum number of notes or annotations one can add to a Kindle book? I've been making many notes and I'd like to know if this will become a problem. Thanks.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don't think notes are limited (those are your intellectual property) but publishers can set a limit on number of highlights (a so called 'clipping limit'). Unfortunately there's no way of knowing what the limit in a given book is without crashing into it. Note that on the Touch and Paperwhite you normally create both when you add a note, but you can delete the highlight and leave the note. It baffles me that publishers impose this, it is as if they want to punish the very readers who love their books the most, and if this is intended as an anti-piracy measure it is completely ineffective.

Another reason to check out Apprentice Alf.

I would be very curious to see what a survey would show about how prevalent this practice is and what the typical limit is, whether it varies from publisher to publisher etc.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-06-2014 at 11:38 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
AFAIK, the clipping limit of many commercial (text)books is usually 10% of the book's content. Once you've reached this limit, the Kindle will no longer save text in My Clippings.txt on the device or the PC.

You can test whether a particular book has a clipping limit by checking for the presence of a exth 401 record with Java Mobi Metadata Editor. If you find one with a value of less of than {100}, the book has a clipping limit.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote