Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
xpmedia
xpmedia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Use the dictionary outside of a book?

Hi folks,

I'm quite new to kobo, but wonder if it's possible to use the device as a standalone dictionary: i.e to look up any word while NOT reading a book on it.

Thanks,
xpm.
xpmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The dictionary options are only available from within a book. For most languages, you lookup any word from the menu without selecting a word. But for a few, including French, you can only lookup words after selecting them in the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
xpmedia
xpmedia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thanks for the quick replay davidfor.

I suspected as much. Bit of a pity as i have to go back to using my desktop dictionary.
xpmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpmedia View Post

I suspected as much. Bit of a pity as i have to go back to using my desktop dictionary.
You could put a dictionary on your device in book form though, so you use it as a book (and search within the book) to look up a word.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpmedia View Post

Not sure you completely understood Davids answer. Within any book you can pull up the dictionary and start typing any word and it will give you suggestions or the whole word once you've typed it all. Then you can pick the word and get the definition. If you leave a book (any book) open, your 3 taps from the dictionary. Still should be easier than going to your desktop.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Not sure you completely understood Davids answer. Within any book you can pull up the dictionary and start typing any word and it will give you suggestions or the whole word once you've typed it all. Then you can pick the word and get the definition.
David put emphasis on the fact that this is not working with all dictionaries. the Fr-Fr, Nl-Nl, Ja-Ja dictionaries (maybe some others too) show only those words that are selected in the book; these dictionaries don't open a search text field and they don't give you a list to select from.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Tried this on my mini - tap the page in the centre,
pick the book icon from the bottom, pick 'Definition'
from the menu.
Tap in the word...
I am allowed to choose English or German only.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
Tried this on my mini - tap the page in the centre,
pick the book icon from the bottom, pick 'Definition'
from the menu.
Tap in the word...
I am allowed to choose English or German only.
if you for sure have the other dictionaries installed (not the 3 that don't work ever)...ie you don't just have them ticked to install next time you sync....then you might have the problem i did. but it was on my glo.

there may be other ways to fix it, but in my case it was fixed by logging out and logging in. before doing this i might have uninstalled all the dictionaries so that i could install them after all the initial setup was done. can't remember for sure, it was soon after i got my glo.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote