Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #46
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanByk View Post
Just out of curiosity, those people here who read 200 to 300 books a year, how do you manage this? Does your job require that you read the books? Do you read very fast? What is your definition of a book, e.g. how many pages would it have on average as a typical paper back? Are you pensioners? Also, do you have families? Do you have other hobbies?

Sorry, I hope that my questions don't come across as being aggressive - I don't want to be obnoxious, I am really just genuinely curious how you guys manage to read that many books. Myself, I manage to read about 40 to 50 books per year (each having maybe around 200 pages on average). This doesn't include the reading of scientific articles that I have to do for my job. This is just my spare-time reading.
I read 300+ books a year. I work for 7.5 hours a day, have an understanding husband, no children, don't watch tv or movies much and am a loner with no social commitments.

I figured out a long time ago that reading is what makes me happy and spend most of spare time reading.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #47
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, those people here who read 200 to 300 books a year, how do you manage this? Does your job require that you read the books? Do you read very fast? What is your definition of a book, e.g. how many pages would it have on average as a typical paper back? Are you pensioners? Also, do you have families? Do you have other hobbies?

Sorry, I hope that my questions don't come across as being aggressive - I don't want to be obnoxious, I am really just genuinely curious how you guys manage to read that many books. Myself, I manage to read about 40 to 50 books per year (each having maybe around 200 pages on average). This doesn't include the reading of scientific articles that I have to do for my job. This is just my spare-time reading.
Personally, I don't find my speed of reading to be an astounding feat. It is just the speed that I read at. I have always been what others call a "speed reader", but to me it's a normal speed. As far as a definition of a book, I generally read novels that run from 300-400 pages on average, although my Louis L'Amours help me pad the numbers a bit, as they are usually about 120-200 pages. I would much rather read a book, any book then waste hours on the mindless drivel that plays on TV. Yes I watch TV, but if I don't get at least an hour and a half of pleasure reading each day, I start going snakey. Just like anything else, if one has a hobby, one makes time for it. That's how I can read 200+ books a year.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #48
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:

I read very fast--when I read paperbacks, it was about 100-150 pages/hour; I suspect it's slightly faster now because page turns don't take as long on the ebook reader.

I read on the train going to work. On lunch at work. In the evening, while the rest of the family watches TV. During commercials when I'm watching TV. While walking to the train. While waiting in line at the bank. While slow web pages are loading.

If you have never said "Excuse me" to a parking meter or bashed your shins on a fireplug, you are probably wasting too much valuable reading time. ~Sherri Chasin Calvo
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #49
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
High double-digits to medium-low triple-digits, I think. That number excludes graphic novels and picture-heavy/text-light coffee table books.

I take public transit and live in a suburban satellite municipality, so that gives me about 3-hours of reading time for the round trip to and from the downtown centre alone, much less any of the surrounding/more outlying areas.

I've found I can generally finish about one-and-a-half medium-sized novels in that time. Non-fiction, of course, takes longer.

I also catch up on TV shows/watch movies on my computer, in a little window off to the side while I sometimes have a reading app open, and switch my attention between them as my interest wavers. But I'm more likely to just surf than seriously try to read when I do that.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #50
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Well I've not been using the eReader for long, and prior to that was struggling to read print as my sight is failing, but with the reader I'm averaging at LEAST 4 to 5 a Week,

My problem is the MR Authours don't write Books quick enough!
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #51
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Currently I'm on part for about 25 books for the year (these are novels I read for pleasure). Unfortunately Uni requires me to read a huge amount of journals and textbooks so that eats into my reading for enjoyment time.

Hate to think about my reading dropping when I decide to start my masters
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #52
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi model
I read arround 2-3 a month. I take a bus to and from work and I read during lunch,
gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #53
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I guess I'm a slacker. I read in the 25-40 book range. I've 23 so far this year...but I'm not sure I'll keep up the pace the whole year. So maybe 50 books this year.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 AM   #54
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Not enough by a long shot, but I buy alot. Does that count?
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #55
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
My range varies a lot, it surely increased since I bought my first ereader because since then I can carry many more books with me.
Last year I read exactly 103 books.
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #56
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
My reading's increased significantly since I got my liseuse, so I reckon on about 10 new purchases or free downloads per month plus around 5'ish re-reads --> 180 per annum. Also spend quite a bit of time formatting scanned dead tree books to epub. Blessings on my 505, Calibre & Sigil
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #57
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
My reading's increased significantly since I got my liseuse ...
Ditto here. If anything, it's becoming a bit of a problem more me, as I'm not reading my work related technical materials as much as I used to.
Should we start "E-Readers Anonymous"?

I probably go through about 5 books per month - which is about 60 per year. This is mostly bed-time reading. 3 kids under 7 ensure no more time is available
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #58
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Before ebooks maybe 2-3; After - 15-20.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #59
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I've been reading 2 books a week and my wife usually reads double or triple that. She is a very fast reader though.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #60
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
How to read more books.

Many have said that they read going to work, at lunch break, and going home.

Tell your boss that you can read work related stuff faster on your reader.

And don't forget to read at least some of it during work.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote