Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Question How do You Know Reader is a Refurb?

Hi.

I'm about to buy a PRS-505, but am concerned it may be a Refurb. How does Sony indicate that their product is Refurbished? Is the box sealed? Is there a sticker on the box? If so, what's it look like?

Thanks!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
Are you buying directly from Sony? If so they must sell the product as refurbished.

Beyond that, I know that a few stores have the information on front, usually if they provide warranty service, otherwise I don't believe there's an easy way to tell. You may be able to call Sony and ask regarding the Serial number.

For what it's worth, I bought my 505 refurbished, and it was great. If you're exceptionally picky about the asthetic condition of the unit, you might be worried, but otherwise, it'll work just fine.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircastor View Post
Are you buying directly from Sony? If so they must sell the product as refurbished.

Beyond that, I know that a few stores have the information on front, usually if they provide warranty service, otherwise I don't believe there's an easy way to tell. You may be able to call Sony and ask regarding the Serial number.

For what it's worth, I bought my 505 refurbished, and it was great. If you're exceptionally picky about the asthetic condition of the unit, you might be worried, but otherwise, it'll work just fine.
Your box did not have any indication on the front that it was a refurb? Was the seal white rather than clear?

I'm buying from a person, not a company, so I need a way to verify that the product is new, as stated. It originally came from the Sony Outlet Store, so that's why I'm concerned.

-Pie
Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you don't trust the seller, I'd honestly suggest that you don't buy from them. Starting a transaction with the assumption that the seller is lying to you is not the basis for a successful business relationship. Perhaps you should ask whether you there is any reason that the seller would lie to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you don't trust the seller, I'd honestly suggest that you don't buy from them. Starting a transaction with the assumption that the seller is lying to you is not the basis for a successful business relationship. Perhaps you should ask whether you there is any reason that the seller would lie to you.
Not so much a question of distrust, as knowing the Outlet Store sells refurbs.

-Pie
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Are you getting the full warranty?

p
palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Didn't ask. Hopefully!!

I talked to the seller and went for it.

-Pie
Old 05-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
My PRS-300 had a big fat sticker on the bag saying "REFURBISHED". Oh yeah, also it didn't come in the original box.
Other than that, no difference.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
My PRS-300 had a big fat sticker on the bag saying "REFURBISHED". Oh yeah, also it didn't come in the original box.
Great! This confirms what the seller told me, that Sony puts refurbs in different boxes. The images of the PRS-505s are clearly original boxes.

I'll be getting a PRS-600 refurb for my PRS-500 so I'll be able to see for myself. But I suspect this is the case.

-Pie
Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
My refurb replacement sent from Sony also has a "REFURBISHED" sticker on the back and did not come with the original packaging. I kept the original packaging from my first unit, though, so I guess in theory I could scrape of the sticker, put it in the first box, etc. and pawn it off on somebody as new.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
My refurb replacement sent from Sony also has a "REFURBISHED" sticker on the back and did not come with the original packaging. I kept the original packaging from my first unit, though, so I guess in theory I could scrape of the sticker, put it in the first box, etc. and pawn it off on somebody as new.
Yeah but it wouldn't be sealed with the circular sticker over the closing tab. You could add another sticker, but it's pretty hard to make it look legit.

-Pie