Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Error communicating with device message

ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

(82, 'The directory or file cannot be created')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 57, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 220, in _upload_books
File "calibre\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 123, in upload_books
File "calibre\devices\usbms\device.pyo", line 720, in create_upload_path
File "os.pyo", line 150, in makedirs
File "os.pyo", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 82] The directory or file cannot be created: u'U:\\E.E. Beck and Sahiya'

I've been trying to add these files to my pro duo memory card...Not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm not sure why I'm getting this message.

Last edited by Amalthia; 09-20-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You probably have too many directories in the root of your card.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Once you mentioned the directories I went and looked and apparently there was a calibre directory on my duopro card so basically I deleted everything and started over and so far it seems to be working. Not sure how that happened...but I've been having some weirdness since I updated the Sony Reader software.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:25 AM   #4
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Okay it seems that around 348 files added to the memory card Calibre gives me the error message and won't let me add any more stories, which is weird because I used to have over 1000 files on the memory card.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Memory cards are formatted with the FAT file system. This is an ancient file system that supports only a limited nuber of entries per directory.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Memory cards are formatted with the FAT file system. This is an ancient file system that supports only a limited nuber of entries per directory.

Is it possible to reformat them to NTFS?

But what has me confused is this same card was able to hold over 1000 ebooks so I'm not sure what's changed?
Old 09-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No - it is not normally possible to re-format the cards to another format.

Have you actually tried re-formatting the card rather than simply deleting the files? That might reclaim some lost space.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post

Have you actually tried re-formatting the card rather than simply deleting the files? That might reclaim some lost space.
I hadn't reformatted because it still shows i have 1.6 gigs of free space left on the drive. So it just seems weird that it would have run out of space. But I'm desperate and at this point will try anything.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:

You wouldn't by any chance know if it's a bad idea to format as FAT32 vs FAT which is the default?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It will depend on whether the device you are going to use it with can handle the FAT32 format - many cannot.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
It will depend on whether the device you are going to use it with can handle the FAT32 format - many cannot.
I figured since the internal memory for the 505 is FAT32 then it should be able to handle FAT32 memory cards. I reformatted as you recommended and I was able to add all my ebooks back to my device.

thank you for your help!