Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-22-2004, 08:12 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Keeping Multiple Favorites Lists in Synch

I'm using IE at multiple computers and was wondering if anyone has figured out an easy way to keep them in synch.

Right now I use one computer as my "Master List" of favorites. I zip and email the contents every so often and install it into the favorites directory on the "Other Computer". I also have a "NewOnOther" favorites folder on the other computer that I send back occassionally.

But that's kind of a pain. I heard rumor of an older utility that allows bookmarks to be automatically hotsynched with a Palm handheld db. Then multiple computers can have synched bookmards automatically. Is there any current software like that, or other easy non-Palm ways to stay in synch?

(I'm not much of a programmer, but maybe I just need to learn how to write a hotsynch conduit?)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:17 AM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
There's a whole thread on web-based bookmark sites. I use furl.net and I've been very happy with it. But several of the others that Alex have turned up may be useful too. Certainly it's not quite as simple as browser bookmarks, but it works great for me.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks ignatz.

I had seen that, but it didn't occur to me it could be a replacement for the local bookmarks. I'll give it a more careful look.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:42 AM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I have used Yahoo's IE companion for years to store all my favourites, with no hassle whatsoever. You can import and export the bookmarks using Yahoo itself and a simple tool for Netscape or IE browsers (not sure about the others). Adding them as you go is easy too.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

In case anyone is interested, I tried a few of these tools and while they are useful in the right circumstances, they didn't really give me what I wanted. Here's a quick rundown of what I can remember:

*) Spurl.net -- This is a cool tool for keeping your bookmarks on the web, but isn't really integrated with browsers. Additionally, I had concerns about privacy because some urls contain private info and even password or email info. So before I tried it, I had to separate all my "private" bookmarks from ones that I didn't care if were seen. That was a big task in itself because I have over 1000 bookmarks.

Obviously I use bookmarks like a filing cabinet with locations I may or may not go back to later. It's a nice way to keep a nice site available without having to spend any time on it until I choose to.

*) Favigo for Palm -- This app is really intended to be used on one computer and lets you go mobile with the bookmarks. I think you may even be able to beam them, but you can at least look them up or modify them on the go. It's a neat app, and I was even able to use it to sync across computers. But for that purpose, you have to sync twice at each computer, and with 1000+ bookmarks, that was a bit impractical. I like the app, and the author even got back to me really quick with info about it when I had a questions. Just not quite what I need.

*) Yahoo toolbar -- I use Firefox now for a lot of my browsing at home, and it isn't available there. I also don't like loosing that additional real estate for the toolbar in my browser. And you have to either log in repeatedly or leave it logged in (not good if you're not at home). But more importantly, they have a limit of how many bookmarks can be uploaded, so it didn't really do what I needed.

I did glance at furl and some other alternatives, but didn't really see anything worth spending time on. In the back of my mind I'm thinking about writing some code to do something like this, but there are so many approaches and I don't know what is going to be easy/hard to code yet. (If I ever get around to it at all!)

Besides, most of my "free" time for computers goes to my http://superwaba.blogspot.com/ which documents my attempt at programming on my Palm.

Later.
Advert
Old 07-21-2004, 08:16 PM   #6
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
*) Yahoo toolbar -- I use Firefox now for a lot of my browsing at home, and it isn't available there. I also don't like loosing that additional real estate for the toolbar in my browser. And you have to either log in repeatedly or leave it logged in (not good if you're not at home). But more importantly, they have a limit of how many bookmarks can be uploaded, so it didn't really do what I needed.
Incidently, there is an extension for Firefox which implements the Yahoo toolbar now.... (don't have the url handy, sorry, but I found it by following the links posted elsewhere here in the Anti-IE/Firefox threads).

You're right though, Yahoo allows a maximum of 1000 urls/folders that it can store (I _just_ hit that wall recently )

I now just use the bookmarks built into Firefiox, and copy the bookmarks.html file to floppy or my ipaq SD card so I can take it with me. Clunky, but effective...

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:55 PM   #7
melvynadam
Connoisseur
melvynadam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone, iPad
I am yet to find a system easier to use, quicker to learn, more straight forward in implementation or more reliable than SyncIt from http://www.2go.com.br/
I am in no way involved with this company and have only had my account with them for a short while but it beats the pants off the competition if your goal is just to have your favourites with you when you go between specific machines.
melvynadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:13 PM   #8
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
A site that MAY help, is www.tweakfactor.com ... I' know they have a BUNCH of stuff about Firefox. I have yet to peruse in serious depth, but what I've seen so far, they seem to be pretty good. They might be able to give you an assist on the info you desire, Bob.
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:48 AM   #9
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
*) Spurl.net -- This is a cool tool for keeping your bookmarks on the web, but isn't really integrated with browsers. Additionally, I had concerns about privacy because some urls contain private info and even password or email info. So before I tried it, I had to separate all my "private" bookmarks from ones that I didn't care if were seen. That was a big task in itself because I have over 1000 bookmarks.
I was a heavy user of Furl.net, as I've mentioned before, but was beginning to run up against trouble using it. Mainly my list was beginning to sprawl from too many categories and there's no way there to nest folders. I took another look at Spurl.net and was surprised by how much more developed it was. I use Firefox and Spurl has a sidebar that does integrate right into the browser. I think that it has a similar feature for IE. This effectively becomes a bookmarks folder that you can carry from computer to computer. Plus they have a system that recommends new sites to you based on the sites that you have currently "spurled." I've made the switch (and it was no problem to import all my Furl links to Spurl; you can also readily import bookmarks from all major browsers). I don't have the privacy concerns that you do, Bob, as I don't tend to bookmark sensitive information, so I haven't had to deal with what you describe. But in general I find Spurl a great solution to carrying links around with you, and encourage everyone to give them a look.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:06 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Today, Spurl came out with Spurl.net streams. Quote from the Spurl user forum:

"Spurl.net streams are a new and improved way for publishing spurls and working together in groups, gathering links on a given topic. A user can create a Spurl.net stream on any topic and allow others to contribute to the stream. When creating a stream, a user connects one (or more) of his existing categories to the stream. All spurls to that category there after are added to the stream.

There are three types of streams: An "Open" stream allows any user to join as a contributor without anybody's permission. A "Limited" stream requires an approval from the stream owner before a user can become a contributor. A "Closed" stream does not accept any additional contributors.

When a user joins as a contributor, he or she can connect (one or more) existing categories to the stream, or have Spurl.net create a new category that is automatically connected to it.

Within a stream, anybody can view the spurls, sort them by date, title or popularity and search them, using all the same advanced possibilities as available when searching one's own spurls. This can make a well-crafted stream a highly valuable resource about a given topic, allowing its contributors to build an advanced search engine with custom, hand picked content.

And a Spurl.net streams' contents can of course be syndicated via RSS, Atom or a Javascript feed."
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote