Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #211
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is this a cable connection? Your upload speed makes me think it probably is. ADSL in the UK is typically limited to 1MBit upload speed.
I'm on BT Infinity 2 fibre-optic broadband. You can get up to 19 Mb upload speeds in theory, depending on where you live. We were one of the first towns in Leicestershire to get it, I believe.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #212
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm on BT Infinity 2 fibre-optic broadband. You can get up to 19 Mb upload speeds in theory, depending on where you live. We were one of the first towns in Leicestershire to get it, I believe.
That explains it - thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #213
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have cable and usually get 80+ Mbps download and 20+ Mbps upload.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #214
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
That's ADSL1 speed, struggling. What are you supposed to have?
I checked with my ISP and my plan is 2 Mbps download and 512 Kbps upload.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #215
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have cable and usually get 80+ Mbps download and 20+ Mbps upload.
30MBps down and 4MBps up here and I still have trouble with Copy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #216
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I checked with my ISP and my plan is 2 Mbps download and 512 Kbps upload.
With ADSL it's the slow upload speed that's the killer when it comes to doing backups. I have 16M download speed, but only 1M upload, and that makes the idea of transferring multi-GB to cloud storage totally impractical. Hence the reason I use external USB drives for backup.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #217
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Maybe everyone already knew this but me, but I did a restore point for my PC (due to an issue with a driver which is affecting Calibre). I thought when you did a restore point it did not affect your files, but it apparently does for the cloud synced stuff (at least on the cloud end)

My Copy folder deleted everything (I think because I had moved its location after the restore point I chose).

And my Dropbox folder deleted a bunch of stuff I had added to it as well.

Thankfully I managed to find it all (I hope) in the deleted items folders in Dropbox and Copy.

Technology has not be my friend lately.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #218
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Thanks OP I grabbed a fellow forums members referral and signed up 20G was to good to pass up
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #219
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Maybe everyone already knew this but me, but I did a restore point for my PC (due to an issue with a driver which is affecting Calibre). I thought when you did a restore point it did not affect your files, but it apparently does for the cloud synced stuff (at least on the cloud end)

My Copy folder deleted everything (I think because I had moved its location after the restore point I chose).

And my Dropbox folder deleted a bunch of stuff I had added to it as well.

Thankfully I managed to find it all (I hope) in the deleted items folders in Dropbox and Copy.

Technology has not be my friend lately.
I never use system restore but when a driver corrupts there is very little you can do other uninstalll/reinstall or rollback to previous version.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #220
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sadly, the problem has not gone away. Oh well, I give up for now.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #221
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
On the use of shortcut/links to put folders in Copy, I can also confirm that deleting the link from the Copy folder does not delete the whole folder (in Dropbox, and perhaps in Copy too, if for any reason you no longer want to sync a folder and delete it from the Dropbox folder, the whole thing goes - in this respect the shortcut/link method looks quite safe).
You could also move your folders out of Dropbox to another location on your computer instead of deleting them.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #222
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Exclamation Caution using cloud with Calibre...

FYI- For those using a cloud backup for Calibre...

If you have your Calibre library folder set to be continuosly synched to the cloud (ie: Library folder is in your Dropbox folder, or you have a shortcut link to your Library folder in your Copy folder), Kovid STRONGLY recommends that you pause synching while you are using Calibre. Synching while you are using Calibre falls under the category of having the Library folder being accessed by two programs at the same time which is a big no-no. I personally was very aware of the prohibition against two users accessing the Library folder at the same time, but did not realize that an upward synch to the cloud was looked at the same way.
If you want to read the thread it is here...
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #223
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks.

I'm now debating if I should remove the shortcut to Calibre and manually backup books to the Copy folder. Or if a big giant sticky note on my monitor will be enough to get me into the routine of hitting pause every time I start Calibre. Hmmm
Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #224
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Thanks.

I'm now debating if I should remove the shortcut to Calibre and manually backup books to the Copy folder. Or if a big giant sticky note on my monitor will be enough to get me into the routine of hitting pause every time I start Calibre. Hmmm
That is why I do not keep the active version of Calibre on my hard drive it stays on my My Passport drive and I keep a backup version I manually sync once a week in my Dropbox which I created a shortcut to in my Copy Folder.

Last edited by Blossom; 08-28-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #225
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Yeah, I think I am just going to keep a manual copy of my libraries in the Copy folder. Don't want to risk forgetting to pause. I'm having enough issues as it is