Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #31
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
I would kind of like to have both shelf metadata and organization by folder. However, I recognize that the Kobo interface is not open source, and when I threw in my lot with Kobo, I gave up a certain amount of freedom. For me, it's been worth it, as the Kobo is a sweet machine and the development staff is present in the forums and seems to take the locals' requests pretty seriously. I end up having about as much say as I would with an open-source project, given that I have neither the time nor the gumption to sit down, learn and install a codebase and development environment, and add new features myself.

May I suggest that the OP look into buying an Android phone or tablet and installing an ebook reading app that can navigate a directory tree, such as FBReader? I use a setup like this myself when I don't have access to my Kobo, and it works rather well, although I prefer my Glo. If the OP roots a Nook, he can even get frontlighting.

Alternatively, since the OP has said he hasn't actually bought a Kobo yet, why doesn't he diversify his efforts by going to the Kindle and Nook forums and demanding that their developers add folder support? The hardware side of all three devices is relatively similar by this point (or so it has been suggested), so by pestering three times as many dev teams, the OP will be able to triple the likelihood that he'll get folder support implemented on a nice, frontlit ereader. He's already made his demands known here, so best to concentrate on those other forums for now, I think.

In any case, my market research indicates that there are at least two Kobo owners who want the OP to have his hair dyed blue, and because this is a lot faster and easier a fix than adding folder support, I demand that it be prioritized to #1 on the feature development queue.

I would create a petition to this effect, but I'm tired and shagged out after a prolonged squawk.

Last edited by rwhe; 12-09-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: scene break
Old 12-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
More Blue Hair!
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #33
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, three.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #34
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
@vugtitan:
I may only be a sock puppet, but a few pointers
1.) You say we have governments to decide for us, as we are not really able to make good decisions ourselves. Granted (to a point), but who appointed you my dictator? I live in a democracy, I can choose myself who will ruin me.
2.) There is only one way you can get what you want: make it yourself or present really good arguments, why your way of handling ebooks is so much better, than mine. I used your way, then I went to calibre and never looked back. What is it I missed? Why is your way so much better for a majority?

Right now you present yourself as a mix, part old man (We've always done it this way...) and small child (But I WANT my sweets!). This is not really a way to convince me, that your way is better than mine.

I grant you, that the present shelf system is not ideal, but it is workable. I'd prefer series information and tags over the hierarchical folder system, as it is much more flexible, if you are disciplined enough to use it. I could even use folders with (linux style) links to recreate a tags like system. I even sometimes dream of a semantic system, that, starting from a word or phrase, creates a book landscape where close related books (in connection to the topic) are close to each other and I am able to create connections between books (roads) that highlight for example common themes.
Should I demand, that Kobo implements that?

Think before you write.
opitzs
--- nogles sock puppet for 2 days, and still like new
Old 12-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #35
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by opitzs View Post
@vugtitan:
I may only be a sock puppet, but a few pointers
1.) You say we have governments to decide for us, as we are not really able to make good decisions ourselves. Granted (to a point), but who appointed you my dictator? I live in a democracy, I can choose myself who will ruin me.
2.) There is only one way you can get what you want: make it yourself or present really good arguments, why your way of handling ebooks is so much better, than mine. I used your way, then I went to calibre and never looked back. What is it I missed? Why is your way so much better for a majority?

Right now you present yourself as a mix, part old man (We've always done it this way...) and small child (But I WANT my sweets!). This is not really a way to convince me, that your way is better than mine.

I grant you, that the present shelf system is not ideal, but it is workable. I'd prefer series information and tags over the hierarchical folder system, as it is much more flexible, if you are disciplined enough to use it. I could even use folders with (linux style) links to recreate a tags like system. I even sometimes dream of a semantic system, that, starting from a word or phrase, creates a book landscape where close related books (in connection to the topic) are close to each other and I am able to create connections between books (roads) that highlight for example common themes.
Should I demand, that Kobo implements that?

Think before you write.
opitzs
Well said. New button eyes for you.

Now, will someone please bring a bandwagon that includes the Rolling Stones per-installed. This I DEMAND
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by opitzs View Post
I grant you, that the present shelf system is not ideal, but it is workable. I'd prefer series information
Firmware version 2.2.0. The calibre driver has support from 0.9.8.
Quote:

Think before you write.
opitzs
David
-- Who finally understands why his socks are all stretched out of shape.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #37
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
More Blue Hair!
As you can see, I have already gone with blue hair and it is working out incredibly well for me.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #38
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
More Blue Hair!
And we have a hit single!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #39
rwhe
Hierodule

It's not easy being blue.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #40
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
It's not easy being blue.
It's not easy being green

Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #41
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
At least many of us here are well red!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #42
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
At least many of us here are well red!
OK, lets just get all the colours covered

Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #43
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I'm not a colour, I'm a Human Being!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #44
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I'm not a colour, I'm a Human Being!
Be quiet number 6

Signed - the new number 2

Last edited by nogle; 12-09-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #45
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Would it be completely unfair to point out that according to Opitzs' post in relation to some of the above that Vugtitan may actually be one of the old dudes in the balcony?

Last edited by TechniSol; 12-09-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
explorer, folder support, fozzy bear, navigation, work