Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
CMA
CMA has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Help please, I need your advice!

I need your help, not a techie, but a reader. I love books and travel, in my perfect world I would find an ebook reader that would contain all the guidebooks I like, plus my fiction collection for the plane, and play movies besides!
However, in the real world, that is not to be, so I need your help.
I have found from browsing what is available at the various ebook stores, that the best travel guidebooks (rough guides, frommers, etc) seem to be in either adobe secure 7 or microsoft reader. While most fiction books are in mobi and are protected from being directly downloaded on the kindle. So which device do I buy? It is a lot of money, and I can't afford to make a mistake, but am ready to make the plunge. Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice.
PS I know that if I was a tech savvy there are ways around the download problems with hacks etc, but I am not tech savy (imagine your middle aged aunt who has trouble programming the microwave, that is me!)
CMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
No E-Ink device currently reads Secure Adobe ebooks, or Secure LIT (MS Reader). It is very easy to convert Secure LIT to DRM-free MOBI, but Secure Adobe ebooks are not currently crackable.

If you really want an E-Ink reader, your best bet today is the Kindle - providing you can get a Whispernet connection where you live. If you go this route, essentially the only place to buy Secure ebooks is Amazon but they have the best selection in most categories. Travel seems to be an exception (only two Frommer's guides in the Kindle store, and no rough guides). I expect more travel titles will become available for the Kindle over time, but that is just a guess on my part.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 02:50 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle is, however, only available in the US. The original poster does not specify that she lives in the US.

Another machine worth considering is the CyBook Gen3. This supports the extremely popular "MobiPocket" format which is sold by numerous eBook stores, and is available (and supported) world-wide.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Or, As the poster has mentioned, that the books are available as secure MS Lit, he coud go the convert lit route and get the sony.

Sorry, I just had to answer and and to the confusion by rounding off the recommendations

Seriously, Either the Cybook Gen 3 or the Sony PRS 505 would probably do if you are outside the US, but keep in mind that the Sony warranty is only supported in the US & Canada, So if something goes wrong, they will only ship it back to a US address.

Gen 3 Is supported internationally. And if Amazon get the books for the kindle, they should probably soon appear for the Mobipocket store, so you can avoid the need to strip the DRM and reconvert it f you want to in the future
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Something I forgot to mention is that the Sony PRS-505 is supposed to eventually run Adobe Digital Editions, which may (or may not) allow it to read existing Secure Adobe ebooks.

Like the Kindle, the Sony is only a viable option if you live in the US (or now Canada for the Sony), because Sony is the only source of secure e-books for the PRS-505 and only allows purchases from the US/Canada. That will change if Adobe DE provides access to secure Adobe ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome!

I like to travel also, and you listed my top 2 items on my wish list. To be able to have full color guidebooks AND novels on a single reader. I know a laptop computer would do the trick, but that seems like an awkward and bulky way to do things. However, I have confidence that as quickly as this technology is evolving, that it won't be long until that dream machine becomes available.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Well, there is one computer that will do all of that now. I'm thinking of buying one, but also looking into a slightly larger version. The downside, as with any true portable computer, is battery life. This supposedly gets 5 and a half hours, and the battery is small enough that you could pack a second. It doesn't weigh all that much more than an Iliad ... however, again, battery life is less.

But, it has a write on screen, in vivid color, is not much bigger than your typical ebook reader .... although it costs 2 to 4 times more than your typical ebook reader.

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Eco...do?series=U810
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA View Post
(imagine your middle aged aunt who has trouble programming the microwave, that is me!)
Aunt Mauna is that you!!!

Seriously The Kindle or the Sony PRS 505 should do the trick, I believe Convert Lit is available for either, I have downloaded it but have not got to play with it yet. I don't know what your price range is so that might take the kindle off the list.

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-10-2008 at 12:42 PM.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Something I forgot to mention is that the Sony PRS-505 is supposed to eventually run Adobe Digital Editions, which may (or may not) allow it to read existing Secure Adobe ebooks.
Per someone from Adobe on a thread about this, DE on Sony WILL allow you to read secure PDF's after you convert them to use the DE AdobeID.

However, when DE will work on the Sony, and what models it will support is not known at this time. But, I personally expect to see this resolved by the holiday buying season.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #10
CMA
CMA has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Thanks for the replies

I am leaning towards the kindle, although most ebooks on travel are adobe, so still unsure. If anyone has any idea when Amazon is going to update their travel section, I would love to hear about it, right now, I may just wait for the next generation or see if the price will come down again.
Thanks again!
CMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:48 AM   #11
allan
allan began at the beginning.

Device: computer
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA View Post
I am leaning towards the kindle, although most ebooks on travel are adobe, so still unsure. If anyone has any idea when Amazon is going to update their travel section, I would love to hear about it, right now, I may just wait for the next generation or see if the price will come down again.
Thanks again!
just follow what is in your mind and i hope you will never regrets co'z its your decission
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

Like the Kindle, the Sony is only a viable option if you live in the US (or now Canada for the Sony), because Sony is the only source of secure e-books for the PRS-505 and only allows purchases from the US/Canada. That will change if Adobe DE provides access to secure Adobe ebooks.
This fall, the 505 will be available in the UK as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote