Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 08-15-2014, 04:13 AM   #1
thisbook
thisbook began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Atlantic recipe results in python error

Hello,

I'm getting a python conversion error when trying to fetch news from The Atlantic. It works for other sites (eg. The New Yorker) but for some reason fails with The Atlantic stock recipe.

Spoiler:
calibre, version 1.47.0 (win32, isfrozen: True)
Conversion Error: Failed: Fetch news from The Atlantic

Fetch news from The Atlantic
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 1.47.0
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': 'original',
'chapter': None,
'chapter_mark': 'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': None,
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_compress': False,
'dont_download_recipe': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'embed_all_fonts': False,
'embed_font_family': None,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'expand_css': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'filter_css': None,
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x000000000484F860>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'lrf': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'mobi_file_type': 'old',
'mobi_ignore_margins': False,
'mobi_keep_original_images': False,
'mobi_toc_at_start': False,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_inline_navbars': True,
'no_inline_toc': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindlePaperWhiteOutp ut object at 0x000000000484FEB8>,
'page_breaks_before': None,
'personal_doc': '[PDOC]',
'prefer_author_sort': False,
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'pretty_print': False,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': None,
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': '',
'search_replace': None,
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'share_not_sync': False,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': '',
'sr1_search': '',
'sr2_replace': '',
'sr2_search': '',
'sr3_replace': '',
'sr3_search': '',
'start_reading_at': None,
'subset_embedded_fonts': False,
'tags': None,
'test': False,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'toc_title': None,
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: Recipe Input running
Using custom recipe
Python function terminated unexpectedly
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'find' (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 195, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1040, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 241, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\recipe_ input.py", line 117, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\news.py", line 992, in download
File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\news.py", line 1157, in build_index
File "<string>", line 38, in parse_index
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'find'

Happy to provide any other information to help this.

Thanks!
thisbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The Atlantic redesigned their website, again. I've updated the recipe, just re-run the download.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The Atlantic redesigned their website, again. I've updated the recipe, just re-run the download.
I tried this recipe, and it times out (and therefore fails) at 45 minutes! Is that expected?
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A timeout is a server issue, either the atlantic server is having issues or they have added some kind of IP blocker to prevent download of articles.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
A timeout is a server issue, either the atlantic server is having issues or they have added some kind of IP blocker to prevent download of articles.
Understood. However, in the past I've had to increase the time limit for the New York Times (up to around 20 minutes I think...) to get past the same issue. In this case it just seems unreasonably long. And when you updated the recipe did you see the same thing?
Advert
Old 08-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, it worked for me.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
No, it worked for me.
Then I am left wondering why it takes so long for me (it repeatedly takes more than 40 minutes.) My internet connection is reasonably fast (8-10MB/s.) Is there another Calibre setting that I need to tweak?
Old 08-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, no settings influence the speed of download. The recipe is fairly slow, because the atlantic servers are slow and the articles have a lot of large images, but it does work.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
No, no settings influence the speed of download. The recipe is fairly slow, because the atlantic servers are slow and the articles have a lot of large images, but it does work.
Hmmm. OK. I'll set it up very high and see what happens. FYI, it's not data intensive of course, but I can surf their website easily with no noticeable page load delays.
Edit: one item I've noticed (NY Times... The Atlantic never made it this far) needed substantial time to run the MOBI Output Plugin- seems related to the size of the download.)
Edit 2: failed at 55 minutes- only got to ~20%. now trying 75.
Edit 3: failed at 75... I give up.

Last edited by NSILMike; 08-16-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
thisbook
thisbook began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Thankyou for fizing the recipe, kovidgoyal. Appreciate all your effort in Calibre.

I'm also facing the timeout issues, can anyone suggest a method to get around this?
thisbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbook View Post
Thank you for fizing the recipe, kovidgoyal. Appreciate all your effort in Calibre.

I'm also facing the timeout issues, can anyone suggest a method to get around this?
If you saw my last edit (above) you know I timed out all the way up to 75 minutes. That's crazy. My internet speed is high, and my latency is quite good, so I have no idea how a user in India can use that recipe, and someone (me) in the same country as the source cannot. What's your location by the way?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #12
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Downloading entire publications is time consuming and obsolete. The always-on internet makes that unnecessary.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@nickredding: It's not feasible for all of us to have internet access whereever and whenever we want. Some of us far FAR prefer the ability to download and access material when we are off net.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This should take care of it:

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...3ca7fef8a43451
Old 08-17-2014, 12:53 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
WOW... It made quite a difference! I had tried earlier and saw the exact same issue as the others had. Now; download is done in seconds. AMAZING
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, python, recipe