Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #16
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I can guarantee it won't be me. The closest I come to an electronic anything is the month I spent learning to repair old video games back in the early 90's. Fun to learn but a paycheck would have been nicer.
Nor me. Perhaps we could find an interested EE prof that could make it a project for a research paper and give the interested students access to the research lab.

Alternatively, perhaps one of Amazon's competitors will tell us if we ask nicely. I am sure they have obtained units and reverse-engineered them as input to their development teams for their responses to Amazon's offering.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #17
favero_
Enthusiast
favero_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hey, I was just wondering... Now that there's version 5.8.10, is it possible to "trick" the system into believing that the downgrade file (the 5.7.4 if I'm not mistaken) is actually the 5.8.10?

Me trying to be a smartass and with no knowledge of Programming tried to rename the downgrade file as the one for the update. Of course it didn't work, the Update my kindle was still grayed out.

But maybe a programmer can discover what makes the OS to accept the update file and erase an old one?

Anyway, just an idea...
favero_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by favero_ View Post
Hey, I was just wondering... Now that there's version 5.8.10, is it possible to "trick" the system into believing that the downgrade file (the 5.7.4 if I'm not mistaken) is actually the 5.8.10?

Me trying to be a smartass and with no knowledge of Programming tried to rename the downgrade file as the one for the update. Of course it didn't work, the Update my kindle was still grayed out.

But maybe a programmer can discover what makes the OS to accept the update file and erase an old one?

Anyway, just an idea...
Same answer. The cell doors are still locked.
Only if you had the keys (jailbreak installed) before it updated can you downgrade.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by favero_ View Post
- - - - -

Anyway, just an idea...
You don't have to be a programmer to find out, just a little bit of background and your favorite binary display/edit tool.

*nix systems (of which Linux is one) do not recognize file types (or mime types) by the filename extension.
They use a system of what is called "Magic Numbers".

Download one of the factory initial packages -
Download one of Amazon's customer update packages -
Look at the value of the first four bytes of each (they are printable characters).
See?

The firmwares that will not install the 'factory initial' packages have had that package type disallowed.

And no, you can't just edit the package type, it is not the only 'marker' the file has in its internal structure, just the one that can be tested very quickly.

Like any other four letter word (click the link in my signature for a description of four letter words).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #20
favero_
Enthusiast
favero_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You don't have to be a programmer to find out, just a little bit of background and your favorite binary display/edit tool.

*nix systems (of which Linux is one) do not recognize file types (or mime types) by the filename extension.
They use a system of what is called "Magic Numbers".

Download one of the factory initial packages -
Download one of Amazon's customer update packages -
Look at the value of the first four bytes of each (they are printable characters).
See?

The firmwares that will not install the 'factory initial' packages have had that package type disallowed.

And no, you can't just edit the package type, it is not the only 'marker' the file has in its internal structure, just the one that can be tested very quickly.

Like any other four letter word (click the link in my signature for a description of four letter words).

Thanks for the explanation!
favero_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
downgrade