Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #31
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Since the above worked... How about some love for Red Shadows by Robert E. Howard.

By Crom, it needs one more nomination.
Better Crom than Stygia. I'll third Red Shadows.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Better Crom than Stygia. I'll third Red Shadows.

Conan seems to like the book a lot. An interview, when asked, "Conan, what is best in life?" Conan replied: "Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women. And Red Shadows by Robert E. Howard."*

* I may be mixing my movie and book quotes.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #33
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Conan seems to like the book a lot. An interview, when asked, "Conan, what is best in life?" Conan replied: "Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women. And Red Shadows by Robert E. Howard."*

* I may be mixing my movie and book quotes.
I don't think either Conan or Arnold will mind.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I nominate Lilith by George MacDonald.

MacDonald was a Christian Universalist who believed that all people would ultimately be saved, and although his theology was far removed from the theology of C.S. Lewis, his writings had a profound influence on the historian. In this fantasy, the protagonist, Mr. Vane, after following a mysterious librarian through a mirror to a parallel dimension, has many adventures in that strange realm and meets Adam's first wife, Lilith.

ePub / Kindle

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-27-2014 at 12:27 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll second Lilith.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #36
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Third Lilith.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With my 3rd and final vote, I nominate The Book of Snobs by William Makepeace Thackeray.

ePub | Kindle

Quote:
PREFATORY REMARKS

The necessity of a work on Snobs, demonstrated from History, and proved by felicitous illustrations:—I am the individual destined to write that work—My vocation is announced in terms of great eloquence—I show that the world has been gradually preparing itself for the WORK and the MAN—Snobs are to be studied like other objects of Natural Science, and are a part of the Beautiful (with a large B). They pervade all classes….
Old 09-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #38
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Since my daughter wanted me to read Rikki-Tikki-Tavi to her again this weekend, I will nominate The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling as my last nomination.

ePub | Kindle | Illustrated ePub

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Jungle Book (1894) is a collection of stories by English author Rudyard Kipling. The stories were first published in magazines in 1893–94. The original publications contain illustrations, some by Rudyard's father, John Lockwood Kipling. Kipling was born in India and spent the first six years of his childhood there. After about ten years in England, he went back to India and worked there for about six-and-a-half years. These stories were written when Kipling lived in Vermont.[1] There is evidence that it was written for his daughter Josephine, who died in 1899 aged six, after a rare first edition of the book with a poignant handwritten note by the author to his young daughter was discovered at the National Trust's Wimpole Hall in Cambridgeshire in 2010.[2]

The tales in the book (and also those in The Second Jungle Book which followed in 1895, and which includes five further stories about Mowgli) are fables, using animals in an anthropomorphic manner to give moral lessons. The verses of The Law of the Jungle, for example, lay down rules for the safety of individuals, families and communities. Kipling put in them nearly everything he knew or "heard or dreamed about the Indian jungle."[3] Other readers have interpreted the work as allegories of the politics and society of the time.[4] The best-known of them are the three stories revolving around the adventures of an abandoned "man cub" Mowgli who is raised by wolves in the Indian jungle. The most famous of the other stories are probably "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi", the story of a heroic mongoose, and "Toomai of the Elephants", the tale of a young elephant-handler. As with much of Kipling's work, each of the stories is preceded by a piece of verse, and succeeded by another.
There are a few other versions in the MR Library; the linked ones were just the most recently uploaded for each format.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #39
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are a couple links for other items above that were missing one or both major formats. I didn't find a .mobi link for one.

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow: ePub | Kindle

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells: Kindle

The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas: Kindle

Red Shadows by Robert E. Howard: Kindle (in the Solomon Kane Omnibus)
Old 09-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #40
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
MobileRead Book Club
October 2014 Nominations

Help us select the book that the MobileRead Book Club will read for October, 2014.

The nominations will run through midnight EST September 31 or until 10 books have made the list. The poll will then be posted and will remain open for five days.
Tom, do we have to wait till September 31? I think we'll be waiting a long time!!!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:57 AM   #41
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Tom, do we have to wait till September 31? I think we'll be waiting a long time!!!
Strange things happen in my world!
Old 09-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #42
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I nominate Lilith by George MacDonald.

MacDonald was a Christian Universalist who believed that all people would ultimately be saved, and although his theology was far removed from the theology of C.S. Lewis, his writings had a profound influence on the historian. In this fantasy, the protagonist, Mr. Vane, after following a mysterious librarian through a mirror to a parallel dimension, has many adventures in that strange realm and meets Adam's first wife, Lilith.

ePub / Kindle
Lewis was indeed very influenced by the spirituality of MacDonald; so much so that he edited a book, George MacDonald: An Anthology which contained daily aphorisms found in the works of MacDonald. In a thirty-four page preface Lewis has this to say of him:

"The quality which had enchanted me in his imaginative works turned out to be the quality of the real universe, the divine, magical, terrifying, and ecstatic reality in which we all live."
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #43
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
Lewis was indeed very influenced by the spirituality of MacDonald; so much so that he edited a book, George MacDonald: An Anthology which contained daily aphorisms found in the works of MacDonald. In a thirty-four page preface Lewis has this to say of him:

"The quality which had enchanted me in his imaginative works turned out to be the quality of the real universe, the divine, magical, terrifying, and ecstatic reality in which we all live."
Weren't they both (along with Tokien) members of the Inklings?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #44
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Weren't they both (along with Tokien) members of the Inklings?
Tolkien and Lewis certainly, but I think MacDonald was quite a bit earlier with his first book (I think) published in the early 1850s.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #45
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Tolkien and Lewis certainly, but I think MacDonald was quite a bit earlier with his first book (I think) published in the early 1850s.
Ah ok. I couldn't remember who all was and wasn't a member. Of course the Inklings themselves are probably all gone now as well.