Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your choices for the August Book Club book?
The Dispossessed by Ursula K Le Guin 16 47.06%
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie 8 23.53%
The City at Worlds End by Edmond Hamilton 9 26.47%
The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner 7 20.59%
Halting State by Charles Stross 2 5.88%
The Martian by Andy Weir 8 23.53%
Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor 5 14.71%
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke 10 29.41%
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline 7 20.59%
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells 12 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Of all the books, The Time Machine should win because there is a new sequel out for it and it would be good to brush up on it before reading the sequel. The sequal is called Time Ships written by Stephen Baxter.
Not exactly new, Jon. The Time Ships was published in 1995.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Not exactly new, Jon. The Time Ships was published in 1995.
The eBook edition is new. Overdrive says it's published 2014. That's where I got that it's new. Oh well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Jon, this may be the first time I've seen you support a book that's 119 years old. Whatever happened to your hatred of the classics?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #19
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I can't believe the lack of love I'm seeing for The Shockwave Rider, but at least The City at Worlds End is tied for first place and Rendezvous with Rama is making a respectable showing.
Tom, this poll doesn't allow Chicago Voting....(vote early, vote often)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Tom, this poll doesn't allow Chicago Voting....(vote early, vote often)
I have the power. But people would find out and report me.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #21
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
The time machine and Rendezvous with Rama - been there done that and have no desire to do it again. I recently read The Martian and agree with others that it has been discussed a lot at MR, so no vote for that.

Hmmm? What will I vote for? I think i'll probably want to stay in the 21st century.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Jon, this may be the first time I've seen you support a book that's 119 years old. Whatever happened to your hatred of the classics?
Not all old classics are boring.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #23
readerlover
Connoisseur
readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I hope The Time Machine by H.G. Wells wins as I downloaded it from Feedbooks this morning and already have it on my Sony Reader.
readerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by readerlover View Post
I hope The Time Machine by H.G. Wells wins as I downloaded it from Feedbooks this morning and already have it on my Sony Reader.
You haven't been zipping ahead of us in your Delorian by any chance have you readerlover?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You haven't been zipping ahead of us in your Delorian by any chance have you readerlover?
I hope so. War of the Worlds would be a good reread.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #26
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I can't believe the lack of love I'm seeing for The Shockwave Rider
Although I would have preferred The Sheep Look Up, I gave one of my votes to The Shockwave Rider.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #27
readerlover
Connoisseur
readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
What's that supposed to mean Crich70? I am practically addicted to H.G. Wells books now!!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What's that supposed to mean Crich70? I am practically addicted to H.G. Wells books now!!
I was making a little joke about time travel (i.e. Back to the future).
Old 07-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #29
readerlover
Connoisseur

Oh!! How do I get more Karma?
Old 07-26-2014, 01:54 AM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh!! How do I get more Karma?
Someone has to click on the little blue box below your name.