Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #1006
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
I'm not sure about in the Premium version, but in the Essentials version, yes, the bug that cropped up a few updates ago that dropped the day/night toggle has been fixed. I created my own theme & am able to switch between my own custom day/night theme within it. I also found 1 particular epub file that didn't look correct in my custom them & switched to the sepia theme to use it - though had disliked it previously, it actually grew on me & I haven't switched back to my custom scheme since.
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #1007
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiestyx View Post
I'm not sure about in the Premium version, but in the Essentials version, yes, the bug that cropped up a few updates ago that dropped the day/night toggle has been fixed. I created my own theme & am able to switch between my own custom day/night theme within it. I also found 1 particular epub file that didn't look correct in my custom them & switched to the sepia theme to use it - though had disliked it previously, it actually grew on me & I haven't switched back to my custom scheme since.
Amazon App store is always a version behind. 2.2.11 is the latest it has so we haven't been given the fix yet. The Night theme hasn't been fix yet. It still has the white page bug too.

I use my own Sepia theme. I took my Kindle Fire lay it side by side with my SGP5 and it took a couple hours but I finally got something close enough that it's comfortable enough for night reading. Now if I could only transfer the theme to my other device.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #1008
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
Aha, good to know about the Amazon app store version!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I took my Kindle Fire lay it side by side with my SGP5 and it took a couple hours but I finally got something close enough that it's comfortable enough for night reading.
I did the same using my NookColor when I made my Mantano theme on my Nexus 7. The standard dark black/bright white is just too high contrast in night mode for my taste. I find this is the case with a lot of the reader apps that I've tried, so custom theme capability is a must for me.
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #1009
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiestyx View Post
Aha, good to know about the Amazon app store version!

I did the same using my NookColor when I made my Mantano theme on my Nexus 7. The standard dark black/bright white is just too high contrast in night mode for my taste. I find this is the case with a lot of the reader apps that I've tried, so custom theme capability is a must for me.
I can't use white text on black background. Sepia works well for me. I also have a theme I made called paperback which looks very close to one and works well with the cute book background. Then I use my black text on grey for day time reading. I've also gone and tweak some of my favorite fonts to look better with it. I still wish someday they will let us have Italics and Bold in our own custom font. It just looks odd with the way it is now.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #1010
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I still wish someday they will let us have Italics and Bold in our own custom font. It just looks odd with the way it is now.
There is an easy way of doing this, but it does mean adding 1-line (always the same) to the top of each epub's css file. If you're interested in the details just PM me.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #1011
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
There is an easy way of doing this, but it does mean adding 1-line (always the same) to the top of each epub's css file. If you're interested in the details just PM me.
You have to specify the font though correct? It like linking to it instead of embedding?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #1012
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You have to specify the font though correct? It like linking to it instead of embedding?
Yes, in summary, you have to:
  1. Copy the 4 font files in the family to a dir on the android device - once.
  2. Create a simple bit of css, with @font-faces pointing at the font files (plus other stuff if you want) as a separate css file. Then copy it to the android device - once.
  3. Add a 1-line @import statement as the first line of the epub's css file which points at the css file from 2 - unfortunately you have to add it to every epub.
The nice thing is that if you want to change your fonts at some point, all you have to do is replace the single css file in 2. All the epubs can stay the same.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #1013
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yes, in summary, you have to:
  1. Copy the 4 font files in the family to a dir on the android device - once.
  2. Create a simple bit of css, with @font-faces pointing at the font files (plus other stuff if you want) as a separate css file. Then copy it to the android device - once.
  3. Add a 1-line @import statement as the first line of the epub's css file which points at the css file from 2 - unfortunately you have to add it to every epub.
The nice thing is that if you want to change your fonts at some point, all you have to do is replace the single css file in 2. All the epubs can stay the same.
That does seem to be a work around the problem...still Mantano could fix this.

I suppose you could have multiple CSS files and just rename them back and forth at will.

Does this break the epub for other apps?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #1014
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That does seem to be a work around the problem...still Mantano could fix this.
Can't argue with that... Mantano's current 'solution' is plainly ridiculous. It would be much better if their partially implemented select-a-font feature was instead a select-a-user-css-file feature.

Quote:
I suppose you could have multiple CSS files and just rename them back and forth at will.
Yes, that's exactly what I do.

Quote:
Does this break the epub for other apps?
I'm not 100% sure because I don't do the change in my calibre library. I make the change to the Save-to-disk copies in my DropBox directory. These are only used by my android device. Having quite a lot (too many) different ereader models means I try and keep the master epub in calibre as 'vanilla' as possible. In theory it shouldn't break the epub for other apps because the @import points to your mantano special css file as a relative reference e.g. @import url(res:///../external_sd/ebooks/mantano.css) points at my external SD card's /ebook/mantano.css file, from the point-of-view of Mantano's home dir. As far as I can see, res:/// is equivalent to /sdcard/Mantano from a user perspective. In another app, that reference probably points to a non-existent file which I think would just be ignored. On the other hand, if, by chance, it did point at the mantano css file it may work as originally planned ???

In short, you'd need to try it with your other apps. I (very occasionally) read in CoolReader3, which, as it happens has implemented the select-a-font feature much better. Its standard font feature works OK on the same epubs. I still think Mantano does a better job than CR3 in other epub rendering aspects though.

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-08-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #1015
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Can't argue with that... Mantano's current 'solution' is plainly ridiculous. It would be much better if their partially implemented select-a-font feature was instead a select-a-user-css-file feature.

Yes, that's exactly what I do.

I'm not 100% sure because I don't do the change in my calibre library. I make the change to the Save-to-disk copies in my DropBox directory. These are only used by my android device. Having quite a lot (too many) different ereader models means I try and keep the master epub in calibre as 'vanilla' as possible. In theory it shouldn't break the epub for other apps because the @import points to your mantano special css file as a relative reference e.g. @import url(res:///../external_sd/ebooks/mantano.css) points at my external SD card's /ebook/mantano.css file, from the point-of-view of Mantano's home dir. As far as I can see, res:/// is equivalent to /sdcard/Mantano from a user perspective. In another app, that reference probably points to a non-existent file which I think would just be ignored. On the other hand, if, by chance, it did point at the mantano css file it may work as originally planned ???

In short, you'd need to try it with your other apps. I (very occasionally) read in CoolReader3, which, as it happens has implemented the select-a-font feature much better. Its standard font feature works OK on the same epubs. I still think Mantano does a better job than CR3 in other epub rendering aspects though.
Okay now I am intrigue would you mine sharing a example CSS file with me and the epub's code needed for all this to work. You may PM me this info if you like. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #1016
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay now I am intrigue would you mine sharing a example CSS file with me and the epub's code needed for all this to work. You may PM me this info if you like. Thanks.
OK. Will send PM shortly. Don't want to derail the thread with css stuff.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #1017
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
App now totally broken for me

I just downloaded the recent (v 2.3) update to Mantano Premium. It would not load, complaining about a problem with reading the database. Reinstalling the app did not help. Even a "clean install", involving deleting Mantano's data and cache, uninstalling the app, deleting the Mananto directory from the device, downloading and installing the app fresh did not help, producing the same "database" error (which makes no sense because I believe that I had deleted all Mantano-related data from the device before re-installing). Does anyone else have this problem?

System info: device: Nexus 7 (8 GB), OS: Android 4.2

The v 2.3.1 update appears to have fixed the problem. Thank you Mantano dev-team.

Last edited by RichieTheK; 11-27-2012 at 08:59 AM.
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #1018
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Mantano Reader Premium is no longer showing up in the Play Store for my Rooted Nook Color (manual Nooter not the others). trying to update to latest version and I can't
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #1019
IngoBN
Enthusiast
IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, Samsung Galaxy SII
Mod, please delete...

Last edited by IngoBN; 11-29-2012 at 04:24 PM.
IngoBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #1020
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Please go back to title sorting by file name! Argggh....just updated and now I HAVE to sort by series if I want some sort of order.

I had my series in the file name and it worked beautifully!!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote