Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Question about selling ebooks via your website

Alright, I'm seriously considering offering ebooks for sale via my website to help with those who either can't go through my current vendors (ezbooks & smashwords) or who prefer to deal directly with me, the author. The problem is, I only take credit card payments online through paypal. So here's my questions.

1. Is there some kind of shopping cart system that will interface with paypal that you guys trust? (it needs to take payment via paypal, and then allow download of the ebook)

2. Is there a different payment system you guys recommend for online website transactions, or should I stick with paypal?

Currently the only way I can sell ebooks via my website is to A) have the user pay what they owe via my tip jar, then B) I email them the ebook once I have payment. I'd rather not do that if I can help it, but that's the only way I have available to me at present. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Tom Wood
oddly human
Tom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle
Google 'paypal shopping carts' and go to the link at PayPal. They have a lot of info.

(The link itself is miles long, or I'd just post it here.)
Tom Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Already did that, but I have no idea which is best. Yeah, I know, the tech guy doesn't know the answer to this. But yeah, this isn't an area I normally tinker in.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I've got my hosting thru goDaddy and they seem to offer an SSL/e-store thingie through them. May want to look into that.

if I ever decide to do it myself, I won't just be selling the bottom barrel smashwords/amazon editions thru the webpage. I'd probably do an e-signing or throw in some sort of extra "bonus" content, to reward those that sought me out.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There is a paypal-authorized program called Linklok that I've used on my site. (The site is presently down for restructuring, but when it is back up, I'll be using it again.)

You have to be able to work with some basic cgi scripts, mostly just entering data where it tells you, and storing that in your cgi-bin. The script allows you to set up sales on your site that click through to Paypal, accept payment in CC or Paypal account form. Once paid, Paypal authorizes the software to send an email to the recipient, with an encrypted link to the book on your server. (The link is encrypted... not the ebook.) You can set the parameters of cost, location of the download link, and how long it stays active for the user.

I recommend it for ease of use and effectiveness, and it's only $30.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found this website where you can do it with just you and paypal. Not sure if it will work, but it's worth checking out: http://www.potpiegirl.com/2009/06/ho...k-with-paypal/
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I use Payloadz.com for instant ebook delivery after the sale. The system integrates with Paypal and several other payment systems. I recommend it. I've used it for years and find it about 99 percent reliable. I think it still has a free basic account so you can get set up without paying, but it will only handle limited amounts. Then there are many tiers of paid service suitable for anyone from micro sellers to big guys.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Valmore: So essentially what they're suggesting to do is to have a simple paypal button that takes the payment, and then drops them off back at your site where they can download the book, right?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Valmore: So essentially what they're suggesting to do is to have a simple paypal button that takes the payment, and then drops them off back at your site where they can download the book, right?
This is what I did when building a web site for my mom's business. She accepts credit cards through PayPal, and all I did was create an onlineorder.html page with a table, and the right-most column contains a button that adds the item to the paypal shopping cart.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Just my two cents: I had serious issues with Paypal a while back (they've taken hundreds of dollars of my money because of some fraud claim that was not related to me, I disputed the charge but they still went ahead and withdrew the money from my bank account). For this reason, my family and I will have nothing to do with them. This is unfortunate but necessary. If there is an issue, the customer is always at fault and there is no recourse (I am not going to sue them for a couple of hundred dollars).
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

osnova, that's why these companies get away with this. They typically screw people for amounts too small to be worth bothering with. It's why you only hear of people suing for big bucks, because it's not worth it.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
You would need to change the download page every few days, unless you're not bothered about people reading it for free.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #13
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

lol. Well, that's actually pretty easy. Once I understand Paypal's API, I can easily write a per user URL system to prevent them from snatching the file off my server without paying. The only thing I need to do now is figure out what paypal's return URL is and the rest is cake.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
Tom Wood
oddly human
Tom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animals

I don't know if David Derrico posts here, he does at Kindleboards, but he has a nice website with ebook purchasing:

http://www.davidderrico.com/

Maybe ask him for some advice?
Tom Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Stephen, I haven't actually done this myself, but I was thinking about it, and stumbled on that page while doing research. It seems simple enough to get you going, and no extra costs other than the paypal fees. I opted to just put as many retailer links on my site as I could rather than hosting the files myself, but that's just me
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote