Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
reamo
reamo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Kindle for iPad and Color question

Hi, I have some questions about this.

For those who have the Kindle device as well as iPad. Do your kindle ebook collections' pages with pictures or illustrations suddenly display color when viewed in the iPad Kindle app? Or are all kindle books originally not in color and it is only new ones that have real colors in them to take advantage of the newer Kindle for iPad (and related devices) app?
reamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If the original book had color illustrations, they should display in color on the iPad.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I never thought about that before. The covers of the books I've bought thru the Kindle app are always in color, but I haven't bought any illustrated/photo books yet. (One of my iBooks books is illustrated, but its in black and white, like the print book)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
reamo

So you mean to say years ago when there was just the Amazon Kindle and no other devices, the ebooks downloaded there already have colors in them (that can't be viewed in the Kindle monochrome display)? How come Amazon didn't convert or create the Kindle Books in Monochrome since they know their Kindle would be monochrome. Why maintain the original color pages (those original books with color illustrations)?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by reamo View Post
Hi, I have some questions about this.

For those who have the Kindle device as well as iPad. Do your kindle ebook collections' pages with pictures or illustrations suddenly display color when viewed in the iPad Kindle app? Or are all kindle books originally not in color and it is only new ones that have real colors in them to take advantage of the newer Kindle for iPad (and related devices) app?
I bought Beatrix Potter's illustrated book of Peter Rabbit and friends for 95 cents as a Kindle book. It's in color on iPad and black and white on my Kindle 2. You can check out the color on Kindle for PC, too.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-27-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
So you mean to say years ago when there was just the Amazon Kindle and no other devices, the ebooks downloaded there already have colors in them (that can't be viewed in the Kindle monochrome display)? How come Amazon didn't convert or create the Kindle Books in Monochrome since they know their Kindle would be monochrome. Why maintain the original color pages (those original books with color illustrations)?
Future-proofing. Jeff Bezos was thinking ahead
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
reamo

In medical books.. there are just too many colorful charts and illustrations... does Amazon avoid converting this to Kindle since they know they can't be appreciated in the original Kindle?

Now with the Kindle for iPad in full colors versus the monochrome Kindle device. Who would want to have a monochrome Kindle when you can read hundreds of scientific illustrations in colors.. unless those who appreciate plain Kindle devices are those fond of reading novels and stories only and not the scientific type who needs many colorful charts and illustrations (for example, the hundred parts of the brain can be viewed more distinctly with color label rather than all monochrome (it's like surfing the internet in pure monochrome versus color, the difference is literally night and day).
Old 05-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I was very pleasantly surprised when I viewed a Kindle edition of an "Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt" - created for the Kindle - on an iPad - the color plates are breath-taking.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
In medical books.. there are just too many colorful charts and illustrations... does Amazon avoid converting this to Kindle since they know they can't be appreciated in the original Kindle?

Now with the Kindle for iPad in full colors versus the monochrome Kindle device. Who would want to have a monochrome Kindle when you can read hundreds of scientific illustrations in colors.. unless those who appreciate plain Kindle devices are those fond of reading novels and stories only and not the scientific type who needs many colorful charts and illustrations (for example, the hundred parts of the brain can be viewed more distinctly with color label rather than all monochrome (it's like surfing the internet in pure monochrome versus color, the difference is literally night and day).
Blasphemy. Remember, LCD will make your eyes bleed and corrupt your children. Kidding. I prefer iPad to Kindle, but I read more nonfiction and news than fiction. Everyone has preferences, though. I'm just glad people read.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I was very pleasantly surprised when I viewed a Kindle edition of an "Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt" - created for the Kindle - on an iPad - the color plates are breath-taking.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
reamo

What's the physiological reason why bright screen can tire eyes easily? It makes your pupils smaller because of the bright light but this is not enough to cause eyestrain. Anyone can share an article or two about this aspect? I'm using a 32" LCD monitor in the PC for browsing and wondering if things are better for the eye if I use the 9.6" iPad instead of the 32".
Old 05-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
@reamo, there has been no studies showing that lcd, oled, plasma, led, eink or stone tablets causes any more or less strain than another. it's all a matter of personal preference.. however the zealots on here will swear one is better than the other based on their own personal observation..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
reamo

maybe it has to do with brain plasticity... since the dawn of civilization people looked at natural materials and lightings and this is why the Kindle is created.. but our brains can adapt very fast.. maybe those who can view bright lcd comfortably have already adapted.. I hope someone can study brain scan (PET scan) between those who can read bright LCD easily (iPad, Monitor, etc.) and those who easily get tired eyes and prefer the Kindle. Maybe they have different neural circuitry... in their tolerance and firing thresholds much like the different resistances in resistors.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #14
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
maybe it has to do with brain plasticity... since the dawn of civilization people looked at natural materials and lightings and this is why the Kindle is created.. but our brains can adapt very fast.. maybe those who can view bright lcd comfortably have already adapted.. I hope someone can study brain scan (PET scan) between those who can read bright LCD easily (iPad, Monitor, etc.) and those who easily get tired eyes and prefer the Kindle. Maybe they have different neural circuitry... in their tolerance and firing thresholds much like the different resistances in resistors.
My personal belief/theory is this

When people tpicall use a LCD display then they sit in one position and maintain eye focus on that one spot for a long duration so your ey muscles stay in one position.
Especially when compared to a pbook where when you turn the page and move position your eye muscles move as the focus on all the little things at different distances.

When ereaders came out similar to books!

I believe a study done that tested how long the eye stays focused at the same distance would show typical LCD screen usage to have a much longer duration focused at one distance than book reading... And thus kindle etc too.

I also believe LCD portable devices Sit somewhere in the middle of that range.

After all what your looking at can't cause strain but it's what that causes the muscles of your eyes to do.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
What's the physiological reason why bright screen can tire eyes easily? It makes your pupils smaller because of the bright light but this is not enough to cause eyestrain. Anyone can share an article or two about this aspect? I'm using a 32" LCD monitor in the PC for browsing and wondering if things are better for the eye if I use the 9.6" iPad instead of the 32".
Personally, I know when I get tired looking ad monitorscreens.
In the past, it's the CRT-refreshes which causes tiredness. Even at 120hz the screen still flickers when reading. Not to mention they're less sharp than LCD.

Then comes LCD with sidelighting. Cathode lighting used commonly in laptops and tft-screens until a few years ago. The lighting is uneven, if you don't look straight into the screen, letters gets distored. Your brain/eyes automatically adjust like some biological stabilized lens. But this gets tiring.

Now, backlighting with leds are common. This solves the light distortion, but the viewing angle is still not perfect, as colours gets washed. And cheaper monitors won't be lighted evenly.

If you buy a new monitor, the default setting is usual >75% contrast and brightness. I've worked in IT and met thousands of "common people working on a computer". Never have I met anyone there who knew to adjust the contrast and brightness to the surroundings.
Even my wife was complaining about eyestrain on her computer, until I set the correct lighting for her...

With this kind of experience, it's easy to make the (false) conclusion that "lighted screen=eyestrain". Even though it's often a matter of screen refresh, brightness settings, viewing angle and general posture... Eliminate those factors and you should have no problem at all.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote