Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
wayamauro
Connoisseur
wayamauro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KindleDX
Pocket Pro 5" Is the battery "Nokia" compatible for real??

Hi everyone,

One of the features that got me thinking about getting a Pocket Pro 5" was the fact that the battery is replaceable. I remember Robertb mentioning how we could buy a Nokia battery (I forgot the model) for around $9. Now, I would like to know if somebody here could confirm that in fact it is replaceable and for around that price or, maybe what this review tells about its clone the Hanlin V5. Is the battery of the Pocket Pro 5" truly compatible with that of a Nokia (again I forgot the model) or we will have to purchase some "special" battery from Astak?

If that's the case, I am getting a Sony. I hope I am wrong though because I really like the Pocket Pro. I also heard some reports that it is crashing...
wayamauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The battery in the Pocket Pro is from LG. Robertb said it would be listed in the FAQ, but that has not happened yet. See Great job on the "sticky"!!

I have read several ePubs on the Pocket Pro without crashes. I exit to the file system whenever I take a break, and that might help although it is hard to tell for sure. I have noticed that the bookmark seems to only be accurate to the page (as defined by Adobe), so it does not always come back at exactly the right place.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Can someone who have the PP give us the reference of the battery (the numbers appearing on the battery)?

Googling the battery product number is the best way to check if it's available in the wild, on eBay for example.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
Can someone who have the PP give us the reference of the battery (the numbers appearing on the battery)?

Googling the battery product number is the best way to check if it's available in the wild, on eBay for example.
See RobertB's post here fo a picture of the battery.

It seems to have a 3 wire connector and the only batteries I find on-line with the same number (see here for example) does not have such a connector.

Last edited by slayda; 09-07-2009 at 07:21 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Egbert
Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
The product number seems to be GB/T18287-2000. It's a 1000mAh lithium polymer battery.
Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

GB/T18287-2000 is a standard, the product number is V5-364560 but I haven't found this battery anywhere.

The fact that the battery is using wires rules out the PP being directly compatible with Nokia battery, yet this is an advantage as when the original battery dies it should be easy to "recycle" the wires and connect them to any standard, unwired cellular battery delivering 3.7V. Theses are very common and the dimensions should not be a problem either.
One should also be able to upgrade the battery this way, it's possible to find 1200mAh or 1400mAH batteries with the same dimensions.

Last edited by Faenad; 09-07-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
wayamauro
Connoisseur
wayamauro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KindleDX
Quote:
GB/T18287-2000 is a standard, the product number is V5-364560 but I haven't found this battery anywhere.

The fact that the battery is using wires rules out the PP being directly compatible with Nokia battery, yet this is an advantage as when the original battery dies it should be easy to "recycle" the wires and connect them to any standard, unwired cellular battery delivering 3.7V. Theses are very common and the dimensions should not be a problem either.
One should also be able to upgrade the battery this way, it's possible to find 1200mAh or 1400mAH batteries with the same dimensions.
Faenad, and how do you attach the wires to the standard battery? Would that be a simple process? I have no idea about doing that.
That being said, maybe we could say that it is as replaceable as a Sony Reader 505 would be, I mean, opening the Sony would be a little of a hassle and all, but at least I can get a battery for around $20 without having to attach any wires to it. In any case, maybe they will sell some with the wires attached to it for the PP as well once the PP becomes more popular...

I agree that it is less of a hassle to simply replace it on the PP than to have to open the Sony to find its battery, but the fact(if this is a fact, since we do not know yet) that we would have to attach wires to it adds some complication to the whole process.
wayamauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Some wires, a bit of JB Weld or soder some black wire-tape..

It'll make yah feel like a mad scientist!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera

Yep, don't try to solder anything on a battery, but some glue and if there is still place some electric tape.

On both battery (the old and the new) you should find a schema explaining where is the + and the - so you know where to connect the wires.

Ideally Astak will probably sell original batteries for cheap -like $20 shipped-.
On the other hands the batteries photographed by RobertB looks like your average cheap Chinese battery, you can usually get better capacity and lifespan from original batteries from Nokia or any other serious manufacturer, or from a decent supplier like Mugen Power.

And yes, opening the PRS-505 and changing the battery is quite easy too, you unscrew the bottom and the top and that it's, it's a clean aluminum design so you don't have to force open plastic snap to open the case like with devices made of plastic. Batteries are available on eBay too.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I think that you guys have it all wrong. Robert asked his tech person about this, and she opened up a Pocket Pro, found an LG battery inside, went online, and found that battery for $8.99.

Robert's conclusion was that replacing the battery with a new one is no big deal.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera

Till Robert provides us with a link for the battery, I would take that with a grain of salt.
Robert is used to make incorrect (let's say "optimistic") statement on his products, or to make promise and don't deliver after.

In the meantime, the picture of the battery (also posted by Robert) is certainly not from LG. If someone already owning the PP could confirm and if it's a LG battery give us the corresponding part number, if would be more helpful.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #12
Egbert
Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
The battery fits into a compartment that's slightly larger, so the dimensions don't have to be exact. I think the thickness has to be the same or slimmer though, since the cover seems to press against it pretty tightly.

The picture that Robert posted is pretty much what it looks like. It's wrapped around with some black tape, which I don't really want to take off at the risk of damaging something. The only writing is on the side that Robert photographed.
Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Till Robert provides us with a link for the battery, I would take that with a grain of salt.
Robert is used to make incorrect (let's say "optimistic") statement on his products, or to make promise and don't deliver after.

In the meantime, the picture of the battery (also posted by Robert) is certainly not from LG. If someone already owning the PP could confirm and if it's a LG battery give us the corresponding part number, if would be more helpful.
Just FYI, the EZ Reader basic also has a Chinese battery but it will accept the Nokia BL-5CA. I got a wall charger for this battery on ebay for $5.39 (free shipping from Hong Kong via USPS). Now I can just swap the battery and go on reading while the charger charges my spare battery. As a bonus the charger accepts a USB cable so I could also charge the battery in the reader (probably not simultaneously).
Old 09-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #14
kanguro
kanguro began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro (I can feel it now)
Looks to me like this one or this one

Update: They are not the correct ones (wiring)

Last edited by kanguro; 09-10-2009 at 02:40 PM.
kanguro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!

Not being a battery guru I may just not understand but those have only 2 wires. Robert's picture showes 3 wires.