Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
pablo1978
pablo1978 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
KNT vs KT

Am I wrong, or there are much more kindle hacks for KNT than for KT?
I´m wondering if it won´t usefull to change my KT for the non-touch.
Best
pablo1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
KNT -> K4

KT -> K5

Some would say that the K5 has more than the K4. Lack of a full keyboard on both of them is a limiting factor in many cases, which is why a number of K3 hacks have not (yet) been ported to the K4/K5.

EDIT: Just to minimize confusion, if you search MobileRead for "KT", you will find a LOT of posts that use KT for "Kobo Touch". In the Dev Corner, the kindles (since the Kindle 2) have always followed a "Kn" naming convention, where "n" is the major firmware version number. The "Non-Touch" (Kindle 4) uses firmware 4.x, while the "Touch" uses firmware 5.x, hence the K4/K5 designations. The KT and K4NT names came about early on when both models were release close together and people posting in the forums though that they both used 4.x firmware. This kindle model naming convention is used in both the Dev Corner forum prefixes, and in the Dev Corner Master Index (and index wikis).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-16-2012 at 12:34 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
uwndrd
uwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-books

Device: K3, K4, PRS-650
I think that K5 (Kindle Touch) has a big advantage over K3 and K4NT in terms of hacks: this "Dynamic java replacement..." thing looks really big, with all those GUI hacks that allow even change the reading process itself (margins, some hints at hyphenation support in future...).
K5 lacks next-previous buttons though, which blows big time.
uwndrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I guess it depends what you actually want to DO with the thing - read books or it, or program it. If you want to use it as a reader, the KT is an enormously better reader (IMHO).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwndrd View Post
K5 lacks next-previous buttons though, which blows big time.
I mostly use "next page". On the K5, I hold it with my thumb next to the right display edge, and I just roll my thumb slightly, over the edge enough to detect as a touch (which advances to the next page). Even easier than pressing a "next page" button, IMHO.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-16-2012 at 12:34 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I mostly use "next page". On the K5, I hold it with my thumb next to the right display edge, and I just roll my thumb slightly, over the edge enough to detect as a touch (which advances to the next page). Even easier than pressing a "next page" button, IMHO.
Same here. You don't even need to touch the screen - just break the IR beams, which are about 1mm above the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote