Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
rusmo
rusmo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Unhappy Anyone having issues with the "back" button?

I noticed yesterday that I was having to repeatedly press the back button (the left-pointing arrow icon at the bottom of the screen) multiple times to get it to register. I mainly noticed this while browsing the App Store but also noticed it in other apps.

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue.
rusmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Huge problems. Annoys me to no end. Not only doesn't it respond sometimes, it also doesn't always do the same thing in different apps. I'm expecting this is going to be fixed quickly through a software update though, so I'm not too worried about it. If it's still this clunky after 29 days though, back she goes.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
No problem on my end. Works fine. However, you may experience problems with the Back button when browsing because some sites just refuse to let you go back. I'm sure most of you have experienced this one time or another on a PC as well.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-17-2011 at 01:20 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think it is an Android thing. I've had similar issues with the touchscreens on all 3 Android devices I've owned. Sometimes you can see the button highlight or depress but nothing happens.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
No problem on my end. Works fine. However, you may experience problems with the Back button when browsing because some sites just refuse to let you go back. I'm sure most of you have experienced this one time or another on a PC as well.
It's not related to websites - this happens throughout the OS. Also, the menu button doesn't always respond. The buttons will light up, but do nothing.
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
No problems when I used it, but it annoys the hell out of me that I have to tap it up from the down position, effectively requiring two taps to go 'back', where every other android device is just one.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
No problems when I used it, but it annoys the hell out of me that I have to tap it up from the down position, effectively requiring two taps to go 'back', where every other android device is just one.
Totally agree! My Android phone has four non-screen buttons on the bezel: Menu, Home, Back, and Search. Tablet usability would be much better with these buttons, and no they don't take up much space on the phone bezel.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think it is an Android thing. I've had similar issues with the touchscreens on all 3 Android devices I've owned. Sometimes you can see the button highlight or depress but nothing happens.
Agreed while I too have hit it a few times. I don't think it's a button issue but impatience because if I wait after pushing it a few more seconds it usually does go back.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
weatherman
Addict

If this is Android, I fear for the future of humanity. This is a bug, not a feature.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
If this is Android, I fear for the future of humanity. This is a bug, not a feature.
Everyone knows Android is buggy. So is Windows though.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
I'll admit I'm having a difficult time with this part. I been all Ios, all the time so coming from that there has been a learning curve with getting used to a different environment but this whole back thing is so counter intuitive for me. It's just plain silly in my opinion.

stinks not having a physical home button
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Speaking of buttons the placement of the power button is not convenient when you want to lock the fire. It should of been on the top. I found a program called Lock Screen App $1.99 at the app store but free version in the market that works by click on icon and it locks the device.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Speaking of buttons the placement of the power button is not convenient...
I personally think that the best way to think about the Kindle Fire is that the logo on the back is printed upside-down. It makes much more sense to me that the power and headphone jack are at the top, and I often hold it that way. The only times I notice it is when I turn the device on (since the lock screen doesn't re-orient) and with apps like accuweather that don't recognize the gyro.

Last edited by weatherman; 11-18-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Yeah I've noticed a few times where it doesn't respond right away.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Convenience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Speaking of buttons the placement of the power button is not convenient when you want to lock the fire. It should of been on the top. I found a program called Lock Screen App $1.99 at the app store but free version in the market that works by click on icon and it locks the device.
If you use the Marware CEO Hybrid Cover for the Fire, the on/off switch is right next to one of the clamps making it very easy to locate. In addition, if you use the new Van Goddy Messenger Bag for the Fire, the headphone jack is EXACTLY where the zippers meet on top to close the bag. That Van Goddy Bag fits the Fire AND Cover exactly into it's compartment.

The Marware cover has a hand strap for holding it vertical in portrait mode and a fold out to create a landscape desk stand.

So far as I'm concerned, all the accessories fit the Kindle Fire controls PERFECTLY.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote