Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
The Double-Edged Sword of DIY Book Marketing

Thought-provoking article here:

http://www.salon.com/books/laura_mil...r_sell_thyself

Quote:
With all due respect to Hocking and Eisler (and I've got plenty for both), I'd rather have "To Kill a Mockingbird" than any of their novels. Even though they are much better at interacting with their fans and orchestrating their careers than Harper Lee is, Lee (in my opinion, at least) is the better writer...

[but] if the next generation's "To Kill a Mockingbird" gets published, the author's inability to promote it effectively may prevent it from reaching the millions of readers who would otherwise embrace it.
PS to HarryT: The URL wasn't abbreviated when I typed it - it seems to happen automatically.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
PS to HarryT: The URL wasn't abbreviated when I typed it - it seems to happen automatically.
It's ok, it does that if it's a really long url. But if I hover over the link, my browser tells me the full address I'm being sent to, something that tinyurl's and other redirecting services don't.

You're safe
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Looking at it another way, what if the next TKAM was turned down by a publisher because they didn't think it would make as much money as the latest Katy Price book and the writer just gave up and threw it in the bin?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't really think publishing was quite as rosy as it's being portrayed "back in the day". Even then, I'm sure very good works were passed over because publishers didn't think they'd make money. It hasn't changed, except we're now more likely to stumble upon a traditionally-rejected work that has been self-published.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
amkuska
amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.amkuska can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Apparently a lot of classics we know and love today were originally self published. Even Hemingway and Edgar Allen Poe. Check out this list here:

http://open.salon.com/blog/phsfca/20...elf_publishing
amkuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by amkuska View Post
Apparently a lot of classics we know and love today were originally self published. Even Hemingway and Edgar Allen Poe. Check out this list here:

Wow! Illustrious company I'm in.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by amkuska View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Wow! Illustrious company I'm in.
Catch 22 - rejected 22 times
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Ugh... Laura Miller after her NaNoWriMo Why Bother article I don't really care for her or her opinion on anything. Anyone who says don't bother trying and your stupid if you do doesn't hold any water on anything else with me.
Arigato,
Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by altworld View Post
Ugh... Laura Miller after her NaNoWriMo Why Bother article I don't really care for her or her opinion on anything. Anyone who says don't bother trying and your stupid if you do doesn't hold any water on anything else with me.
Arigato,
Nick Davis
This.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote