Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
lahonda_99
lahonda_99 began at the beginning.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader Pocket Pro 5"
[PROBLEM]ePub format texts not loading

I can open my ePub books that I have made through Calibre, but my Astak Pocket Pro 5" will only load about 150KB of the file then stop. I can not go to the last page in any of my books.

I am using the latest firmware released September 7th.
lahonda_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I suspect there is a problem with the book. How many books have this problem? If you download a book from this forum eBook collection does it have the problem?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahonda_99 View Post
I can open my ePub books that I have made through Calibre, but my Astak Pocket Pro 5" will only load about 150KB of the file then stop. I can not go to the last page in any of my books.

I am using the latest firmware released September 7th.
Calibre is a lot more forgiving than ADE (on your PEz).
As DaleD said: there may be something "In" the file that ADE does not like.

OR
You may have a "file system" error (can be caused by disconnecting too soon or things that go *bump* in the night)
Use Windows to "Check drive for errors (and fix)" .
Look at the file size of the book on your PEz, the compare it to whay the size is in Calibre (Hover over the EPUB format in the Meta-data editor, to see the file info)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
Let support (support@astak.com) or me (jenifera@ezread.com) know if this turns out to be more than a file problem, and has something to do with your device!
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
lahonda_99

I found out the error. This knowledge might be common, but it was not to me and will prove useful to other users.

EPUB format books are zipped collections of meta data and individual HTML files. The HTML files are usually split at a little below 100 KB each. I had set the split to 1,680 KB when converting my books into EPUB through Calibre. After setting the value back down the books are readable from cover to end.

What this tells us is that the EZ Reader reads the HTML from its header until the point where its RAM can not hold anymore of the file. Splitting the files allows the previous file to be dropped from RAM and the next to fill it; producing the sensation that the book is linear at the cost of loading times.

My large EPUB, non split HTMLs, filled RAM and the book stopped at the point where the device couldn't read anymore.

It turns out that this error I ran into was not a device fault, merely a limitation.

Thank you Dale for your suggestion about comparing them with the books from this forum. That is what set my brain on the right track. I didn't even know there were public domain books on this site! Thank you Ducks for the file size tip, it was comparing the file sizes that hung the light above my head. Lastly, thank you Jenifer-with-one-n for offering support so quickly from the device makers' side.

Last edited by lahonda_99; 10-22-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
My large EPUB, non split HTMLs, filled RAM and the book stopped at the point where the device couldn't read anymore.
This is a "feature" of mobile Adobe Digital Editions. I was under the impression that the restriction had been relaxed in recent ADE implementations (like on the EZReader), but I guess 1,680 KB was just too much.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:30 AM   #7
lahonda_99

1.68MB was just my previous upper limit split. Even EPUB as small as 256KB were too big for the EZ Readers' reader unless it was split.

So Adobe Digital Editions has a "feature" where the EPUB doesn't need to be split? Why is that a feature? What benefit is there to publishers or users?
Old 10-23-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So Adobe Digital Editions has a "feature" where the EPUB doesn't need to be split?
I put "feature" in quotes because, as you say, the limit on chapter (section) size is of no real use to readers. It does spread out the pre-processing time thoughout the ebook, rather than at the start. The actual limits are:
Quote:
For Adobe Digital Editions, you will need to keep chapters under 300k in size when uncompressed and under 100k when compressed. Images must not be larger than 10MB when uncompressed.
These are the limits for mobile ADE, the Desktop ADE will warn you if they are exceeded but will usually still work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote