Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
any close out sales?
Just a clarification, but the type of bankruptcy they've filed for basically means that they are trying to reorganize their financial commitments in order to pay off their debt. It doesn't necessarily mean the end of the company yet. Some companies can recover from Chapter 11, others can not. It depends on how well they can survive this particular phase, and what their financial portfolio looks like.

Close out (liquidation of the company) is a possibility at this point, but it has not happened yet. If we next see them file for Chapter 7, then you can start to write them off.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #17
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Most probably someone else will buy them.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #18
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
These look like beautiful reading devices, but I have to say that at $500 for the lowest priced readers, I can't see the marketability.

But then, I'm not as well-heeled as a lot of people so my perspective probably doesn't amount to a lot.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #19
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Well, after all I'm glad I didn't go for it. But paying 200€ more here in Europe without wireless in comparison to the US model wasn't in for me. At least I never understood how a better equipped model can be shipped to the US and then be sold for less than they sell it here.
If they would have sold a little cheaper, I think they would have a had a lot more potential buyers.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:20 AM   #20
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
These look like beautiful reading devices, but I have to say that at $500 for the lowest priced readers, I can't see the marketability.

But then, I'm not as well-heeled as a lot of people so my perspective probably doesn't amount to a lot.
In the US the DR800SG went for $399 at Best Buy. But I take your point. These weren't bargain devices.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #21
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post

They make great devices, but yes, they should have bought a copy of "marketing for dummies". The ridiculous price for the European 800S is one example, the fact that they never lowered the price for the 1000S, never introduced WiFi for the DR reader series are more of the same. Not delivering firmware that enables use of the 3G modem via 3rd party SIMs. The list is endless.

Flexibility never was a strong suit of companies that are run by engineers. I ran into many similar cases. Engineers tend to think that their products are so good that customers will pay any price -- it is just that sales and marketing people are too stupid to explain that to the buyers.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #22
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Anybody else wondering when Plastic Logic will be joining them?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:23 AM   #23
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Its a a shame, but their products were really overpriced badly. Hard to gain market share when your product is 50% more expensive than the competition.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #24
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Just a clarification, but the type of bankruptcy they've filed for basically means that they are trying to reorganize their financial commitments in order to pay off their debt. It doesn't necessarily mean the end of the company yet. Some companies can recover from Chapter 11, others can not. It depends on how well they can survive this particular phase, and what their financial portfolio looks like.

Close out (liquidation of the company) is a possibility at this point, but it has not happened yet. If we next see them file for Chapter 7, then you can start to write them off.
Let's also say that Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 do not exist in European laws: EU laws on bancruptcy are different from US
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 AM   #25
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Its a a shame, but their products were really overpriced badly. Hard to gain market share when your product is 50% more expensive than the competition.
If your marketing is good enough the price isn't the issue most of the time.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:01 AM   #26
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Sad, I was thinking of getting a DR800.. Oh well, back to Adam and iPad again.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 AM   #27
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
TBH, I predicted it 2 years ago. Their prices are way over the top.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:15 AM   #28
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Is Chapter 11 the same thing in the Netherlands as it is in the States? Chapter 11 means you have time to re-organize/re-group (i.e. protection from creditors) while Chapter 7 is basically last one to leave, turn off the lights? Or did they file for Chapter 11 protection here in the States?
iRex is going into a managed procedure for declaring bankruptcy. This is partly similiar to chapter 11. There exist basically four options:
  1. They will survive as a reorganized company and repay their debts (=debt settlement agreement and recapitalization of the company)
  2. They will only survive as long as it takes to repay their debts (=judicial debt settlement followed by a slow liquidation of the business as long as it takes to satisfy creditors)
  3. They will "turn off the lights" (nothing left to satisfy creditors, no further business possible)
  4. The company or at least some parts of it will be bought by another company or an investment group
Option 1 and 2 could take up to 3 years. The process will be controlled by a insolvency practitioner and a judge.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #29
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
- Worst costumer service experience EVER
- oberprized products at least in the past
- a company always jumping on thier next bandwagon to easily leaving existing costumers behind as soon as they announce their next project wich happened shot by shot

Summing that up I am not really suprised about their situation, and i won't be suprised if that kind of management won't be able to survice their insolvency.
What i am suprised of is the fact that they made it over the years until today.

I have seen their treatment to customers and i knew they will fail at some time.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 AM   #30
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
TBH, I predicted it 2 years ago. Their prices are way over the top.
Actually their prices I feel would have been quite justified provided they turned out firmware updates/fixes and software improvements at a reasonable pace. From my readings here on the forum things seemed rather slow. Fairly hard for a company to charge a premium for a product with poor support.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chapter 11, financial problems, iliad, irex technologies