Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Metadata for PDF magazines - ASIN? other id?

I have some PDFs of scanned magazines that I am attempting to add to Calibre and would like to retrieve metadata for. I also have some magazines I subscribe to on Amazon, so I inspected one and see that there is an ASIN assigned to each issue. As the magazines I have PDFs of are also available on Amazon, I assume there are also ASINs assigned to them.

The problem is I see no way to determine what the ASIN is for the each individual magazine. Is there a tool for getting the ASIN? How about the Google identifier? Any other way to retrieve the metadata for the magazine?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Put in the correct title and author and the metadata download process will automatically fill in the asin. And if you want to get the asin manually it is present in the page url for the product on amazon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Put in the correct title and author and the metadata download process will automatically fill in the asin. And if you want to get the asin manually it is present in the page url for the product on amazon.
The problem is what is the "correct title and author" for a particular issue of a magazine? Where can I find the ASIN for a particular issue, allowing me to retrieve the metadata for it?

As an example, consider Asimov's Science Fiction. Its amazon page is:

http://www.amazon.com/Asimovs-Scienc.../dp/B000N8V3F0

The ASIN listed is "B000N8V3F0", but that is NOT the ASIN of the current issue whose cover image is pictured there. The ASIN for the current issue is "B01AMP3Z54" as extracted from my copy of that issue.

I have PDF files for another magazine for which I do not have an amazon subscription that I wish to add to my Calibre library. As these do not have metadata included I would like to incorporate that information, but without the ASIN for that particular issue this is a problem.

As an example, one of these PDF files is the March 2012 issue of Analog Science Fiction and Fact. As with the Asimov's example, there is an amazon page that allows a subscription. How can I retrieve the metadata for this particular issue?

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 02-12-2016 at 09:16 AM. Reason: fix typos
Old 02-12-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can only retrieve metadata if there exists a page for that particular issue. If there does not then you will have to fill in the metadata by hand.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Maybe you can write a PI to scrape the publishers pages

https://www.analogsf.com/2015_06/index.shtml

note: there seems to be a page for each issue
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Maybe you can write a PI to scrape the publishers pages

https://www.analogsf.com/2015_06/index.shtml

note: there seems to be a page for each issue
Well, I guess that gives me a way to get it done. Definitely more work than I was hoping for. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Dave