Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Apabi Ebook reader

Hi!

This ebook reading program was recommended to me as another to try as I am searching for the reading program that I want to use the most. I thought I would start this topic to see if anyone else is using it so we can all share information.

It appears to be fairly new on the scene and the manual appears to be in Chinese.

It has some features that I like.... pinch to change the size of the screen font, sort by date added, the ability to turn the page forward by tapping on the left side of the screen. That's handy for me as I hold my iPhone in my left hand and it makes it easy to page forward using my left thumb.

So far, one addition I wish they would do is add page numbers. Right now, it shows you that you are 5.5% into the book. I would prefer pages like it something like 25/230

I also would like the ability to have the iPhone's status bar at the top that shows time and battery.

Another feature would be to tap the top of the page and have the Book Blurb show up. I think this is in the Meta Data of an ebook file though I'm not totally sure.

An interesting feature is the way you use your wifi to load ebooks into the program. You use the browser on your computer and type in the web server listed in the program. Then you use the browse button on the screen to get to the book(s) you want to load and then you click Upload and it appears.

I'm not sure if you can load books from whatever cloud service you use onto the phone as I have not even tried that on any of the other ebook readers I have. (How does that work, anyway?)
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Hi!

I'm not sure if you can load books from whatever cloud service you use onto the phone as I have not even tried that on any of the other ebook readers I have. (How does that work, anyway?)
It works the same way that an email attachment works. In general an application that accepts files offers a list of apps that might be able to accept the file. You then choose the app you want.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I sure wish there was an easy way to get suggestions to this company. Unfortunately, when I was on my phone and clicked to write a review, it let me put in my name but, as soon as I started typing in the text area, the DONE button grayed out so you couldn't send your rating and review! Of course, that was my first time attempting to send a review and I thought I was doing it correctly but maybe I wasn't. ::

I found their web site but it's all in Chinese so I have no idea if there is an area where you can send them a reply or request.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
I quite like Apabi on the iPad. For getting stuff from the cloud (in my case, Dropbox) i download from dropbox which then says it cant read the file, I hit the share button (you know, the one with the rectangle and an arrow curving out if it) and it gives me a list of compatible files. Not all ereaders turn up in this list, but Apabi, Stanza and iBooks do. Likewise, the Box.net app will give you a list... its share icon is a cloud with an arrow. Sugarsync does not work as well as the other two in this respect. Its very slow to load the book list, and then when you ask it to open in (it doesnt offer a list) it does nothing. So Sugarsync for me is useful for things other than book storage.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Shykat
Groupie

I've found that I can easily get ebooks from my SugarSync account into Apabi so that makes me happy.

I also can sort the books in the order I added them into the program, and I can see approximately how far I'm into the book when using the List View. Both those features make me happy.

One quirk that I have noticed is that, occasionally, a paragraph's font is smaller than the one before or after it. :: Dunno what is causing that.

I wish it was easier to contact / leave feedback for the creators so they would know of the things we would like to have added. Unfortunately, their website is in Chinese and, when I have tried to send feedback through the Apps store where I downloaded the program from, as soon as I start typing in any text, the SEND button is grayed out and I can't send any of the info.

Is anyone else using this program other than Kyteflyer and me?
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Is anyone else using this program other than Kyteflyer and me?
I'm not really using it anymore. I am still finding the iPad far too large for nocturnal reading whilst lying in bed, and in the daytime I still use the phone, the size is just right.

I cannot let Stanza go, yet. and I've just reinstalled Readme again on both devices...
Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Shykat
Groupie

I have been trying out several of the free ebook programs, and so far, I do really like Apabi. Of course, it could be because it sorts the ebooks in the way I prefer which is a major plus for me.

The margins are narrow, it handles different fonts/text well. Italics show just fine. The larger letter that starts a chapter show up just fine.

The strange formatting of different paragraphs I have no idea what was going on there but, the second book that I'm reading in the program is just fine.

I still wish they had page numbers listed instead of % of book read. I like things like 46/250 pages.

I would like to be able to turn sleep mode off while reading and I wish you could dim the screen by swiping down the side instead of having to go into general settings.

I don't really like the bookshelf look in Adapi but I like the list view. You can see how far you are into a book due to the slider that shows so you will know when you have finished reading a book. I do wish it showed the author as well as the title of the book, though.

I know many people don't like it but I would like the option of turning on the time/battery bar at the top of the screen.

And..... I would like a super easy way to access a book's blurb/back of the book description information while the book is open. Sometimes I stop reading a book for a while and I would like to have easy access to that information.

So far, Stanza seems to have the easiest way to get books from Calibre into the program but I don't want to get attached to that program again since it most likely won't be supported after the next OS update. And it doesn't allow you to sort by when added.

I come from the Android world (4-5 years of use) and had used Aldiko on my Android phone and Transformer. Many of the features I have been requesting are in that program.

Kyteflyer, like you, I find the tablet rather large for reading in bed and mostly use my phone for reading.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
I come from the Android world (4-5 years of use) and had used Aldiko on my Android phone and Transformer. Many of the features I have been requesting are in that program.
I'm fairly sure than Aldiko was originally modelled on Stanza in any case, in terms of features. Of course as time wore on, Aldiko got better (and costed $$) and Stanza pretty much stagnated.

On Android, the first thing I did was download Aldiko. Didnt like it in its free version at all. Tried fbReader, Moon Plus Reader, cool reader and a few others. I settled on buying Moon+ Reader Pro in the end, and after all that, tended to use fbReader anyway. I believe mantano is the go-to for Android reading these days.. I tried a free version but wasnt that fussed on it.

I'd kill for a Stanza clone that had all its old features and then some. There was a facebook group and a couple of the guys were planning to code a new reader which would emulate Stanza in many ways (I think they were doing that) but I left the group and have no idea how thats progressing.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Shykat
Groupie

So many readers and none do everything that we all want.

Stanza is an excellent reader. Right now, I seem to be switching between it and Apabi as my ebook readers.

It will be interesting to see what the new update for BlueFire will add and it will be interesting to see how often Apabi gets updated.

For now, I just keep switching around to see which I actually will use the most.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'm fairly sure than Aldiko was originally modelled on Stanza in any case, in terms of features. Of course as time wore on, Aldiko got better (and costed $$) and Stanza pretty much stagnated.

On Android, the first thing I did was download Aldiko. Didnt like it in its free version at all. Tried fbReader, Moon Plus Reader, cool reader and a few others. I settled on buying Moon+ Reader Pro in the end, and after all that, tended to use fbReader anyway. I believe mantano is the go-to for Android reading these days.. I tried a free version but wasnt that fussed on it.

I'd kill for a Stanza clone that had all its old features and then some. There was a facebook group and a couple of the guys were planning to code a new reader which would emulate Stanza in many ways (I think they were doing that) but I left the group and have no idea how thats progressing.
Why did you leave the group all of a sudden? (just curious)
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delotte231 View Post
Why did you leave the group all of a sudden? (just curious)
I was intending to leave facebook entirely. Pruned my friend list and my group involvements and deleted 99% of my posts anywhere. I'm still on fb, playing fish wrangler. Nothing else. Actually tried to find the group again after that post I made that you quoted, and couldnt. But I just now remembered that one member posted in getsatisfaction.com/stanza about it and found the link. It must be now hidden from a normal search because it did not turn up in one.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/230548790339245/

And... oh dear... Stanza does not work in iOS6 beta.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 07-03-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Oh. I started doing that a while back.. but with about a few hundred to go without a means to group remove those friends, I just gave up and created a new facebook account and deleted the old one. haha
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote