Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you finish reading every book you start reading?
Yes. I finish a book no matter what. 38 20.99%
No. I'll leave a book unfinished. 139 76.80%
Go away. 4 2.21%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #31
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I'll give it a chance but I'll know after a chapter or two if it is worth my time.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #32
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
If I make it through the first chapter, I will finish it. I have had too many books redeem themselves at the end to quit.
This makes me want to go back and read all my abandoned books.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #33
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I finish every book I start, though not always in one sitting. I might put it down and come back to it a month or two later and finish it. Some books are bad, but I am not one person who can leave a story unfinished.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #34
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
While I finish every book I start, I may have to come back to it. Lot a times if a book languishing or boring to me I will put it away and read something else. Then come back to it a few weeks later. 90% of the time the book is fine after that. It turned out not to be the book but was something to do with me. The other 10% I find its the book.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #35
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
If I make it through the first chapter, I will finish it. I have had too many books redeem themselves at the end to quit.
That's why I will stay with a book to at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through. However, even if the last chapter were to prove to be positively stunning, having to read through that much bad book just wouldn't be worth it.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #36
MartinParish
Author of 2184
MartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
I don't.

If it's not holding my interest after, at most, halfway through, I don't spend any more time on it.
I finish nearly everything I start...unless it's so downright terrible I can't endure it anymore.
MartinParish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #37
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I just quit reading Live Free or Die by John Ringo.

There was only death if I continued reading that book.

It was my first Baen book.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #38
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
There's a reason why there's a meme that goes "OH JOHN RINGO NO", and it sounds like you've just encountered it.

But there's plenty of good stuff at Baen. I suggest trying Lois McMaster Bujold. She's got a really nice novella up at the Free Library.

Or Rick Cook if you like light comedy with computer programming in it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:05 AM   #39
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
That's why I will stay with a book to at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through. However, even if the last chapter were to prove to be positively stunning, having to read through that much bad book just wouldn't be worth it.
Once, I picked a book from my parent's shelve. I was somewhere between 10-15. I started reading the book, but just couldn't get to the half-way point. A few months later, I tried again. Same result. Only at the third try did I finish the book. It's one of my most favourite books of all. One of those that I'll try to find a hardcover as soon as our lounge is done (which means I'll have bought four copies of it, paperback, ebook, audiobook and finally hardcover, five if you count the mini-series that was made from it).

The book was Shogun by James Clavell.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:25 AM   #40
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
If a book doesn't appeal to me I quit. I give it a fair chance, 1/3 to 1/2 of the book. I must admit I rarely do it. Then again, I never ever buy on impulse. I always do a good research before I acquire a book.
I have checked my Goodreads bookshelves. There are approximately 300 books and only 6 are marked as unfinished. Although, to be honest, there is a dozen of books I was not supposed to read. It was a waste of time I deeply regret of reading them, when I could enjoy their betters.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 AM   #41
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
No

If the book begins to not interest me anymore, away it goes and the next one comes along for reading…

I read mostly for pleasure and no way I will be getting myself out of that just “because” I feel “obliged” too…
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 AM   #42
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
The author has about 10 pages to hook me. If not, then the book's gone.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #43
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Wow, 10 pages is harsh. That's like giving a TV show about a minute to hook you in .
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #44
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I don't finish every book I start. I even created a Collection on my Kindle that's called "Reading/Abandoned" and I put unfinished books there. Sometimes it's a story that I'm just not in the mood for at the time and I'll go back to it.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #45
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I give each book a fair chance but if it hasn't really caught my attention by the time I'm halfway in I shelve it for a while. I may come back to it at some point but then again I may not.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote