Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
BrianG
BrianG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
BasicNewsRecipe interactive?

Hi. It would be helpful for me to test some new recipe ideas if I could call the methods of BasicNewsRecipe interactively.

I oversimplified things by assuming that I could just call the methods from CALIBRE-DEBUG. I'm missing an important step somewhere.

Can someone help me run something like the example below from an interactive command line?

soup = self.index_to_soup('http://www.xxxxx.com')

thanks,
Brian
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just add a print statement in your recipe:
print soup.prettify()
'soup' is an instance of BeautifulSoup, which has a pretty print method prettify().
Debugging python with print statements is quick and intuitive.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
BrianG
BrianG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
This makes sense, thanks.

However, I'm new to Python, so I'd like the opportunity to play with various functions and methods interactively. It's a lot easier if I can do this interactively as opposed to with PRINT statements in a program.

Can the CALIBRE-DEBUG program be used to interactively run the methods of BasicNewsRecipe?
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You stick

from calibre import ipython
ipython(user_ns=locals())

into any point in your code to have an interactive prompt at that point.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Nice, I didn't know about that.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah it's a good way to explore when you're new to calibre/python.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote