Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-05-2023, 05:21 AM   #61
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When some were saying they were using Bookerly on a non-Amazon Reader, they got it from the net not legally.

So that's why the ask.
So? I'm sure people download an awful lot of things from the net illegally, including fonts which are not sold for a reasonable price (presumably because the target market is businesses). You can't do anything about it, so why bother to ask?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:02 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
So? I'm sure people download an awful lot of things from the net illegally, including fonts which are not sold for a reasonable price (presumably because the target market is businesses). You can't do anything about it, so why bother to ask?
Just curious.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2023, 02:06 PM   #63
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I like this fi ligature.

Attachment 201883
I don't like the overlap. But to each their own.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:44 PM   #64
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I enjoy a font called Caudex. Available free in various places. Discussed here:
https://medium.muz.li/designers-pick...2-15f3db82031c
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:48 PM   #65
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I only use my illegally downloaded fonts to read my pirated books. Seems the right thing to do.

Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2023, 05:10 PM   #66
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I only use my illegally downloaded fonts to read my pirated books. Seems the right thing to do.

I appreciate the consistency
Old 06-07-2023, 11:02 AM   #67
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Caecilia with a little weight.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:04 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledMan View Post
My favourite font when reading classical literature is Ibarra Real (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Ibarra+Real+Nova).
Ibarra Real is a fine looking font. But too spidery on my Kobo.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:38 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Ibarra Real is a fine looking font. But too spidery on my Kobo.
It looks like Ibarra Real needs a lot of weight added to it.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:43 PM   #70
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
It looks like Ibarra Real needs a lot of weight added to it.
Yeah, and I never mess with the weights* There's too many other fonts out there that suit me without making adjustments.

*But I always enabled advanced font controls via the patch, even though I never used them
Old 06-07-2023, 06:14 PM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yeah, and I never mess with the weights* There's too many other fonts out there that suit me without making adjustments.

*But I always enabled advanced font controls via the patch, even though I never used them
And that patch is no longer needed.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:31 PM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And that patch is no longer needed.
I know. That is why I used past tense. I could have gone into detail, but this isn't a Kobo forum.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:09 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I know. That is why I used past tense. I could have gone into detail, but this isn't a Kobo forum.
I do up the weight on most of the fonts I use. I find they look better. The amount of weight depends on the font.

With CareInk6SP, I have the weight slider set about 3/4. Which means upping the weight about 1/4.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:25 AM   #74
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I also always change the weight. Most fonts are too thin/pale/not contrasty enough for me, and those that are naturally bold are usually too bold and thick for my taste.

That said, there are fonts which do look worse with adjusted weight - they get thick, ugly and blurry. But I don't use such fonts.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:38 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I also always change the weight. Most fonts are too thin/pale/not contrasty enough for me, and those that are naturally bold are usually too bold and thick for my taste.

That said, there are fonts which do look worse with adjusted weight - they get thick, ugly and blurry. But I don't use such fonts.
Have you ever tried decreasing the weight of fonts that you find too bold/thick by default?

Tags
favorite, favorite font, font