Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-04-2023, 12:59 AM   #46
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Bookerly
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:35 AM   #47
escaner
escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best version of Baskerville is Baskerville eText. But it costs and is rather expensive.
You don't like the version included by Amazon with the Kindle? It looks perfectly fine to me.
escaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2023, 02:42 AM   #48
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by escaner View Post
You don't like the version included by Amazon with the Kindle? It looks perfectly fine to me.
It’s too wide!

I’m a bit of a font nut, myself.

My favourite would have to be Adobe Garamond.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:44 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's not the same as Baskerville eText.

https://blog.fonts.com/2013/04/03/et...ng-experiences
https://blog.fonts.com/2013/08/06/etext-part-deux/
https://www.linotype.com/6991/etext-fonts.html
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:09 AM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I'm not a fan of Bookerly either, but I know a lot of people like it. It's too light and "spread out" for my taste.

Choice is good.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2023, 05:46 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm not a fan of Bookerly either, but I know a lot of people like it. It's too light and "spread out" for my taste.

Choice is good.
Choice is good. But my question is where did most of the people using Bookerly (not on a Kindle) get the copy they are using? Did they extract it from an Amazon firmware or did they steal it?
Old 06-04-2023, 05:57 AM   #52
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Choice is good. But my question is where did most of the people using Bookerly (not on a Kindle) get the copy they are using? Did they extract it from an Amazon firmware or did they steal it?
Here is the link you are looking for:

https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/a...nes/typography
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:00 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Here is the link you are looking for:

https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/a...nes/typography
It's an old version.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:05 AM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It's an old version.
Contact Amazon; maybe they will give you a newer version.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:10 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Contact Amazon; maybe they will give you a newer version.
The latest version can be had from current Kindle firmware. But the version of Bookerly from the firmware will need some fixing.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:34 PM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I just downloaded it from Amazon. They can have it back if they want it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:11 PM   #57
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
One of the problems I've noticed is that a lot of fonts are really expensive. I'd love to be able to try Monotype Baskerville eText but that's not happening at the price charged.
If that is the one font you really want to use, couldn't you just create your own font based on a sample of the typeface? You wouldn't be breaking copyright law as you are not downloading the font itself, just making your own version based on the typeface.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:55 PM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I don't see how kerning makes ligatures necessary.
I had a font (can't remember which one, sorry) where there weren't ligatures. So when there was an 'fi' pair, the hook on the top of the f overlapped with the tittle of the i. Overlapped, but didn't merge, so the f looked deformed. It was awkward looking and I noticed it every time. Fonts should disappear, not draw attention to themselves.

Edit: This isn't from my reader, but here's an image for the interwebz:

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-05-2023 at 12:01 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:58 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I just downloaded it from Amazon. They can have it back if they want it.
When some were saying they were using Bookerly on a non-Amazon Reader, they got it from the net not legally.

So that's why the ask.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:11 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I had a font (can't remember which one, sorry) where there weren't ligatures. So when there was an 'fi' pair, the hook on the top of the f overlapped with the tittle of the i. Overlapped, but didn't merge, so the f looked deformed. It was awkward looking and I noticed it every time. Fonts should disappear, not draw attention to themselves.

Edit: This isn't from my reader, but here's an image for the interwebz:
I like this fi ligature.

Name:  fi.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  2.0 KB

Tags
favorite, favorite font, font