Notices

Old 06-03-2023, 11:23 AM   #31
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilster View Post
Please excuse a question from a font neophyte. I love to swap fonts on my ebooks and love to read about new options. But I know little about fonts themselves, how they are designed, etc. Right now I'm confused about font weighting. I understand what this means, but I also see reference to 'hinting' and I'm unclear on whether this is the same thing as 'weighting' or something else. Any clarification much appreciated! -- Paul
https://reallygooddesigns.com/fonts-theory/
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 12:31 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublincheri View Post
ChareInk size 2 is my sweet spot ever since I first found it here. I've just added the 6SP to my library of kindles!
What do you think of ChareInk6SP?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2023, 01:08 PM   #33
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can up the weight of Bookerly if you use a Kobo or Kindle at night.
Yes, I can, but it doesn't hit the sweet spot. It's either too bold or not bold enough. Literata Medium is right where I want to be.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 02:59 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilster View Post
Please excuse a question from a font neophyte. I love to swap fonts on my ebooks and love to read about new options. But I know little about fonts themselves, how they are designed, etc. Right now I'm confused about font weighting. I understand what this means, but I also see reference to 'hinting' and I'm unclear on whether this is the same thing as 'weighting' or something else. Any clarification much appreciated! -- Paul
Here you go:

Font weight

Hinting

Kerning

One more: Ligature (Kerning can make ligatures necessary.)

I couldn't find a nice little alll-in-one image for hinting.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-03-2023 at 03:13 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:02 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I can't resist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keming-kerning.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	201858  

Last edited by DNSB; 06-03-2023 at 09:18 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2023, 05:50 PM   #36
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:54 PM   #37
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What do you think of ChareInk6SP?
I like it. With the weather being 40 degrees colder than yesterday and dreary as well today was a reading day. I changed my font to ChareInk6SP and read for hours not really noticing much difference from my old settings. Then I pulled out another Oasis and compared the two where I can see the difference, it’s more obvious on an entire page when the menu isn’t on the screen. But I intend to make this the default font on my other devices too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5749.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	201848  
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:25 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
(Kerning can make ligatures necessary.)
I don't see how kerning makes ligatures necessary.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:58 PM   #39
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
Excellent, ZodWallop. Thanks so much for this very helpful display. Also thanks to Mt. Msla for the outstanding link. Plenty for me to study up on here.
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:00 PM   #40
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
One more: Ligature (Kerning can make ligatures necessary.)
I see the top one as a funny looking "h" and the bottom one as a funny looking "A".
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:26 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I see the top one as a funny looking "h" and the bottom one as a funny looking "A".
Whatever font that is has terrible looking ligatures. The ligatures in ChareInk/Charis SIL do look good as they look like the two letters next to each other instead of merging in a new letter.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:16 PM   #42
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I guess I'm fairly basic for fonts. I use Literata Book, Amasis, and Georgia Pro for the most part. I switch off from time to time, depending on my mood.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 09:20 PM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
My main criteria for a font is that I don't notice it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 11:10 PM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.msla View Post
As title: do you have a preferred font you use when reading?
Constantia.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 11:46 PM   #45
Sumanuil
Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle (10th Generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.msla View Post
As title: do you have a preferred font you use when reading?

Does it matter if it's an e-reader vs. another screen like a full color tablet or monitor?
I use one called Cormorant, except for one book that I have had a print copy of for so long that anything other than the original (don't know the name) looks "wrong".
Sumanuil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite, favorite font, font