Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-20-2021, 10:52 PM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot stand that and I will go into the code and fix it. Good thing I know what I am doing so it doesn't take too long.

I would love a job reformatting commercial eBooks. But not one like that Churchill eBook. Way too many footnotes to deal with.
Buddy, you say that NOW. I know you and I think that your head would explode after your 4th-5th book. ;-) If you even made it that far.

It seems like a perfect gig for a perfectionist...but, hell, ask Tex, the biggest perfectionist I know. He'll tell you and you KNOW he has mad formatting skills. Trust me.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #17
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

With ePub, you can embed a font that's only used in some places and that font will be seen.
This is good to know. I might try compiling an ePub for PD Urdu poetry with an embedded nastaliq font instead of the much less appealing naksh that Unicode seems to default to. Since I can't actually read Urdu in anything other than Roman or devnagari, I would prefer maximum aesthetic value, and nastaliq delivers
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2021, 12:10 AM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This is good to know. I might try compiling an ePub for PD Urdu poetry with an embedded nastaliq font instead of the much less appealing naksh that Unicode seems to default to. Since I can't actually read Urdu in anything other than Roman or devnagari, I would prefer maximum aesthetic value, and nastaliq delivers
Remember as Hitch mentioned, if you try to use a body font in an ebook sent to Amazon, it will vanish like the disposasteins of yesteryear. Set a chapter header font, no problems.

On the last ebook I saw that attempted to get around this, the author styled each paragraph with the embedded font using style= and it didn't work.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:15 AM   #19
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Remember as Hitch mentioned, if you try to use a body font in an ebook sent to Amazon, it will vanish like the disposasteins of yesteryear. Set a chapter header font, no problems.

On the last ebook I saw that attempted to get around this, the author styled each paragraph with the embedded font using style= and it didn't work.
Thanks. It was mention of epub that caught my eye. This would be a hobby project, initially for my own education, but if the results were ok, i would be nice to be able to embed the font I chose for sharing the epub non-commercially with others I think might enjoy it
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

That ^ is exactly right. Amazon caught on to that trick ages ago (2013, by my personal knowledge) and there's a styling limit, inside the renderer (the publishing workflow renderers/processors) for style= or font=. Nukes it altogether.

We had this truly godawful book. It was...I can't even describe it. It was like a person's journal/memoir/something. And it careened from font to font. It also made extensive use of Arial. Well, like good little obedient doggies, we licensed the fonts and off we go and we could NOT NOT NOT get Arial to "take." Something about the usages, too many fonts, too much Arial in conjunction with (IDK what else).

Seriously, if you removed a paragraph with Arial, you could add one. We demonstrated it over and over. There appeared to be hard limit, in how many paragraphs you could have, in Arial. We tried normal CSS; we tried inline; we even tried putting it on the HTML tags (the customer was ADAMANT!), and we never got it to work. Use it all the time for headings and subheads, and for books where it's the only font...but there is something, somewhere, that makes it explode with a certain (number/type) of other fonts.

Most bizarre font thing--well, almost--that I ever saw. The Daily Prophet Effect--the one where the text appeared to come "unstuck" from the page and float around, in Previewer and on-sale--that was the MOST bizarre. We'd upload this perfectly normal novel, and when you'd preview it, the text of the book simply...came apart. And floated around the page, as if unanchored to lines, grids...weirdest thing ever. Customer as horribly unhappy with us. Never did figure out WHY.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2021, 04:49 PM   #21
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Yeah, I recently got one like that, a freebie on ereaderiq. They put a non-breaking space between p tags, between all paragraphs.
WTF. It's like pressing ENTER ENTER ENTER in your documents.

And this is in trade published books?

Report it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
(And WHAT is with trade pubbed books today coming in Kindle with block-style, space-between paragraphs, for novels? I mean, talk about STEAM!)
... what? Are you serious?

I could maybe see a self-help book, programming book, or something like that... but a novel‽

Quote:
I cannot stand that and I will go into the code and fix it. Good thing I know what I am doing so it doesn't take too long.

I would love a job reformatting commercial eBooks.
Do it. Go to your favorite author, publisher, non-profit, etc... and clean it up for them.

There are plenty of abysmal ebooks out there that need reformatting.

Heck, that's how I got started.

Side Note: I even used this method in 2018:

I purchased an ebook from one of the podcasters I listen to.

He only had an Amazon/Kindle version for sale, so I wanted to create an EPUB so it could be sold on all the other stores.

Turns out it was a Word->Kindle conversion... and there were busted footnotes, broken URLs, and other issues.

I blew him away by pointing out tons of errors/typos.

He gave me the original source files, and I was able to generate a super clean, amazing EPUB (and better Kindle version too!).

Now he's one of my best clients/buddies, and I've done 6+ books for them (with more on the way).

But note, you'd probably want to be less abrasive with your "my way or the highway" demeanor.

Quote:
But not one like that Churchill eBook. Way too many footnotes to deal with.
Meh. You know regex.

So once you spot the pattern, it's usually just a handful of regex to normalize the text.

I just reduce everything down to the super-clean:

Code:
<sup>1</sup>
then run my usual Saved Searches on it to instantly produce the footnote code.

Quote:
Buddy, you say that NOW. I know you and I think that your head would explode after your 4th-5th book. ;-) If you even made it that far.
lol, but every book that's ever passed through JSWolf's clutches turns out perfectly crisp and clean!

In that entire Calibre library of his, there must be hundreds, thousands, millions! He's outproduced us all!

Quote:
It seems like a perfect gig for a perfectionist...but, hell, ask Tex, the biggest perfectionist I know. He'll tell you and you KNOW he has mad formatting skills. Trust me.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 05-21-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, font, preview, thanks for all the fish