Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #1
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Vanity fonts

Hello. Admittedly, this is my first time using Sigil to create an epub, so if I'm doing it wrong, please let me know.

I've declared a specialty font for use in my epub (Belgrano). Long story short, if the font is not installed in my pc, even though Sigil css is declared and used properly, Belgrano is not displayed in the preview window in Sigil.

I had to install the font on my laptop to view it in the preview window of Sigil. Belgrano was already installed on my desktop and thus rendered properly there.

I doubt this is a big deal, because to my (very limited) knowledge, it really doesn't matter what font I prefer / declare, because at end-stage, whatever epub reader the user is using does it's own thing anyway, right?

Was this a big waste of time? Possibly. But let me know? And otherwise, 'Hello world!'

- Andy
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Generally, If I really want to use a specific font in an ebook, I add it as an embedded font. Otherwise, no guarantee as to what font will be used when the font I want to use is not present on the device I'm reading on.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2021, 12:22 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.msla View Post
I've declared a specialty font for use in my epub (Belgrano). Long story short, if the font is not installed in my pc, even though Sigil css is declared and used properly, Belgrano is not displayed in the preview window in Sigil.
Since it's your first ebook, there's most likely a typo in your CSS file, because Sigil will show embedded fonts in the Preview window, even if they're not installed on a machine.
For an example, have a look at this book with an embedded blackletter font.
You also might find my CSSFromFonts plugin helpful, which'll add a font declaration to your CSS file.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
We recently fixed a bug that prevented previewing embedded fonts in a resource tab whenever the path to Sigil's temp directory contained a space, but that didn't effect properly embedded fonts from rendering in the Preview widget. If it's not down to a css syntax or path error, it's typically down to problematic fonts whenever they won't render in a browser (like QtWebEngine or QtWebkit). There's a lot of terrible font files floating around out there. But if it renders when it's installed as a system font, that's usually a dead giveaway that it's just not being embedded in the epub correctly.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did you add the font to the EPUB? It goes in the Fonts folder, highlighted in the image below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	205
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	187152
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Adding to my response above, I used my own font long ago (no idea if this is still the proper way); here's the css:

Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: ChunkFivePrint;
    font-style: normal;
    font-weight: normal;
    src:url(../Fonts/ChunkFivePrint.otf);
}

.chunk {
    font-family: "ChunkFivePrint", sans-serif;
}

Last edited by hobnail; 05-15-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You can also consider using Doitsu's CSSFromFonts plugin to somewhat automate creating the CSS for embedded fonts.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:41 AM   #8
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Thanks all for the input. Problem solved!
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I prefer not to encounter the problem. 1) you must have the legal right to distribute the fonts, 2) you must have the knowledge to embed them, 3) you have to hope that Amazon doesn't rip them out (as it sometimes does, assuming your mean to publish through KDP), and 4) your idea of great typeface may offend the reader who prefers his/her/its own great typeface, and who gives you a one-star review in consequence.

Besides, ARA General Belgrano sank with great loss of life in 1982.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
4) your idea of great typeface may offend the reader who prefers his/her/its own great typeface, and who gives you a one-star review in consequence.
Specifying the font might make sense for presentation on a website, but when ereaders give the user a choice of fonts, why fight against that? Also, what looks good on a website might not impress on a 6-inch eink screen.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:25 PM   #11
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
I prefer not to encounter the problem. 1) you must have the legal right to distribute the fonts, 2) you must have the knowledge to embed them, 3) you have to hope that Amazon doesn't rip them out (as it sometimes does, assuming your mean to publish through KDP), and 4) your idea of great typeface may offend the reader who prefers his/her/its own great typeface, and who gives you a one-star review in consequence.

In general I agree with you but if the vanity font is for chapter headings, I'll just shrug. But when they specify the body/paragraph font then the steam starts coming out of my ears. (And of course even more comes out when they specify the line spacing, borders/margins, and font size.)
Old 05-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
In general I agree with you but if the vanity font is for chapter headings, I'll just shrug. But when they specify the body/paragraph font then the steam starts coming out of my ears. (And of course even more comes out when they specify the line spacing, borders/margins, and font size.)
If it's Amazon, they can't, at least, not in the "modern" era. Not for fonts. If you even attempt to stipulate the body font, in any number of ways--set it on the paragraph tag, set it in a body div, set it in a bodysection div, etc., Amazon will just flat-out nuke it right outta de book. Like magic.

So, that's a no-fly-zone. That does not mean that there aren't pre-2014 or 2015 files out there with specified, stipulated body fonts. Ironically, most of them are trade publisher files!

(And WHAT is with trade pubbed books today coming in Kindle with block-style, space-between paragraphs, for novels? I mean, talk about STEAM!)

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 05-20-2021 at 10:50 PM.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #13
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
(And WHAT is with trade pubbed books today coming in Kindle with block-style, space-between paragraphs, for novels? I mean, talk about STEAM!)

Hitch
Yeah, I recently got one like that, a freebie on ereaderiq. They put a non-breaking space between p tags, between all paragraphs.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

But with a Kindle, most eBooks that have embedded fonts, the embedded fonts never/hardly get seen. The default is not for Publisher Default. However, with Kindle, if you don't do something with the base font, then the default is a poor reading experience.

With ePub, you can embed a font that's only used in some places and that font will be seen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Hitch
I cannot stand that and I will go into the code and fix it. Good thing I know what I am doing so it doesn't take too long.

I would love a job reformatting commercial eBooks. But not one like that Churchill eBook. Way too many footnotes to deal with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, font, preview, thanks for all the fish