Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-08-2023, 07:11 AM   #76
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you ever tried decreasing the weight of fonts that you find too bold/thick by default?
No, I haven't bothered. There are plenty of thinner fonts that look decent when you adjust their weight on an ereader, so I haven't been motivated enough to experiment further.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:27 AM   #77
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
When some were saying they were using Bookerly on a non-Amazon Reader, they got it from the net not legally.

So that's why the ask.
I can't speak for others. I did try Bookerly on non-Kindle hardware. Didn't like it there either. I thought maybe it would have been rendered differently on another reader. I'm not saying it's terrible, but I don't like it nearly as well as Constantia. I think Georgia would be my second choice.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:38 AM   #78
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
When some were saying they were using Bookerly on a non-Amazon Reader, they got it from the net not legally.

So that's why the ask.
Okay. Now I see what what you're saying. Apparently these fonts are free with only minimal restrictions. From the license text included with the fonts...

Quote:
All of these fonts were developed under contract for Amazon - as a result Amazon owns them fully outright. To include these designs in your work there are no licenses payments, no royalties, no copyright or attribution notices required. The font itself carries the proper ownership and copyright information in the header metadata of the font and Amazon does not require any additional attribution or protections when using the font.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:21 AM   #79
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I do up the weight on most of the fonts I use. I find they look better. The amount of weight depends on the font.
Yeah, odds are if I were to spend more time messing with weights I'd find more fonts I enjoy reading with. But for me, Literata Book and Bookerly look good as-is. So I just use them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 12:53 AM   #80
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
I use a customized version of Adobe's Garamond Premier Pro Medium.

I love the design of Adobe's Garamond family, but it's a very thin font. The "Medium" base is good for 300dpi eInk, and I edited the font files for the "SemiBold" weight to be bold for "Medium".

For eInk displays with lower resolution, or if you want a bit more weight, the "Caption" variant is just a bit darker and looks better to me.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 03:39 PM   #81
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Quote:
Why would you use a font that only has a regular version? What do you do for bold, italic, and bold italic?
I modify another italic font to be the font italic. I don't care if it looks different and I don't care about old or bold italic varieties

Sent from my 22081212UG using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:12 AM   #82
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I use Thesis SSi, because I really like the high ascender height. I find it easier to read with it, as it naturally increases the line height without having to adjust the line height.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:37 AM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I use Thesis SSi, because I really like the high ascender height. I find it easier to read with it, as it naturally increases the line height without having to adjust the line height.
I do like the italic version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 11:16 AM   #84
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That's a nice font. It's similar to a more traditional Baskerville with a low x-height (which is what gives the "high ascender" feeling). It's also got decent kerning out of the box.

Too many fonts are targeted at low-DPI screens and increase the x-height for readability. And, you see less tight kerning to enable the letters to be separated better. Both of these ruin the look of the font.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 12:29 AM   #85
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
The Washington Post has an article out right now on this very topic. The article provides some basic font theory and includes a few interactive tests where the reader can see which font style is better for them. It doesn’t go very deep in the topic but is not a bad introduction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...-types-styles/
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 10:58 AM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
The Washington Post has an article out right now on this very topic. The article provides some basic font theory and includes a few interactive tests where the reader can see which font style is better for them. It doesn’t go very deep in the topic but is not a bad introduction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...-types-styles/
The article links to Readability Matters website. The problem is that the text is left justified. I want to see it full justified with hyphenation otherwise, the testing is not valid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:32 AM   #87
frostymug
frostymug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My absolute favorite is Merriweather with Domine and Lora close second and third. I am not a fan of san serif. I am convinced that reading is easier and faster with serif. Thanks for all the other suggestions in this thread.
frostymug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 02:19 PM   #88
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I just switched from Bookerly to CharInk6SP on my Oasis and I am beyond pleased. My vision is terrible and this font is very clean on my Kindle, even with added weight. In fact, it's so clear I was able to reduce the font size a little. And I now realize how messy Bookerly got with every increase in boldness. Thank you, JSWolf.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 10:44 PM   #89
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Tiempos Text.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite, favorite font, font