Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
helten
helten is on a distinguished road

Device: None
DRM protected Mobipocket books?

The books you buy from Mobipocket are DRM infested right? How does that work? Are they locked with a password or something? Or locked to a specific device? A password I can accept but being locked to a specific device wont work for me...

helten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by helten View Post
The books you buy from Mobipocket are DRM infested right? How does that work? Are they locked with a password or something? Or locked to a specific device? A password I can accept but being locked to a specific device wont work for me...

They are locked to between 1 and 4 devices. Each device has it's own personal id (PID). You enter this/these PIDs into the stores web site and when you download the eBook it is encrypted using the PIDs that you provided.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is possible to have more than 4 devices over time, e.g. if you stop using a reader it can be removed from the PID list and another one added. Also, the mobidedrm program can strip the DRM completely - which at a minimum provides protection from Mobipocket going out of business.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
helten

Thank you very much for your answers! I found the mobidedrm scripts, so I at least can strip the DRM myself if that should become necessary. Can you recommend any place other than Mobipocket to buy ebooks without DRM?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thank you very much for your answers! I found the mobidedrm scripts, so I at least can strip the DRM myself if that should become necessary. Can you recommend any place other than Mobipocket to buy ebooks without DRM?
Fictionwise has a large selection of "multi-format" books that do not have DRM. Steve Jordan books do not have DRM, Baen Free Library and Webscriptions do not have DRM, Scfi-az.com do not have DRM.

However, all most all of mainstream authors, NYT Bestseller types are not available without DRM.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Can you recommend any place other than Mobipocket to buy ebooks without DRM?
MobiPocket only sells ebooks with DRM, but the same ebooks (same DRM) are also available from other on-line vendors often at lower cost. A good example is FictionWise (which also sells many DRM-free multi-format ebooks that include a MOBI version).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
helten

That's perfect - thanks a bunch! Different sources for ebooks is what I'm interested in. Even if I have to get books with DRM, it is more or less acceptable if I'm certain that it can be removed at a later time.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
so far all the ebooks i've bought i bought from booksonboard.com and fictionwise.com- they're usually cheaper than mobipocket and the sites just feel more personal.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:58 AM   #9
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
That's perfect - thanks a bunch! Different sources for ebooks is what I'm interested in. Even if I have to get books with DRM, it is more or less acceptable if I'm certain that it can be removed at a later time.
Another way to come at the problem is to buy in .lit format for Microsoft Reader. These can easily be unpacked to non-drm HTML and then made into any format you like. Plus, you have searchable HTML for when you want to do a search across the whole library.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:35 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't buy directly from MobiPocket. They act as a "wholesaler" for all the other Mobi stores, and their prices are generally considerably higher than elsewhere - they seem to have some sort of deal in place not to undercut the stores that they supply. Also, if you live in the EU, they'll charge you 19.6% VAT on top of the list price on everything that you buy!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
helten

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't buy directly from MobiPocket. They act as a "wholesaler" for all the other Mobi stores, and their prices are generally considerably higher than elsewhere - they seem to have some sort of deal in place not to undercut the stores that they supply. Also, if you live in the EU, they'll charge you 19.6% VAT on top of the list price on everything that you buy!
Ouch! Thanks for the hint! I will buy my stuff other places...
Old 07-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
BooksOnBoard is also a good place to purchase eBooks.

And as for DRM free eBooks, look no further then the E-Books section of this very forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote