Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Adriaan12452
Adriaan12452 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Charging Kindle

I have a few questions about charging a Kindle DX graphite.

When you live outside the USA do you then get an adequate adaptor instead of the USA adapator when you order a Kindle DX graphite on Amazon? In the USA they use a different voltage than in Europe.

When you charge by USB, how many hours does a full charge (battery which is almost empty) aproximately take?

How does the quality of the battery evolve over the years. It is great that you can use the Kindle for several days of more (when you use it intensively) when you just bought it but what after a few years?
Adriaan12452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I used an adapter when I took my K1 with me to New Zealand and Australia. We did not need a converter. If you check the battery info you will find that it is rated for use in the US and the rest of the world.

I have never charged by USB so I have no idea.

I think these batteries tend to last about 5 years.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Being in Australia i ordered the adapter when i ordered my Kindles.
I chargce both by USB and the power cord, if the battery was nearly fully discharged i think you would be looking at a few hours charge time, but as i don't let mine get too low i'm not too precise about the charging time.

I have only had mine for a fewe months so i dont know how long they last, but i from what i have read i think we can expect a few years from them.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Adriaan12452

Can you replace the battery when it doesn't work properly anymore? If so, then how much would that cost (a rough estimate) and could you buy it anywhere?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are internet sites that show you how to replace it but it is like the IPod and IPad batteries, meaning that it is meant to be mailed in in order to have the battery changed.
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriaan12452 View Post
Can you replace the battery when it doesn't work properly anymore? If so, then how much would that cost (a rough estimate) and could you buy it anywhere?
They are on sale on ebay. I think they are £15-£20.

As to fitting it, according to the video I saw it's;
lever off a bit,
2 screws,
slide & lift the back off,
2 screws,
lift the old battery out.
reverse to re-assemble.
Not too complicated really.

I'm in the UK, my DXG came with a US adaptor. It's good for 110-250 volts, 50-60Hz. As long as your power is in that range, all you need is a simple adaptor that fits your power socket, no transformer is needed, mine cost under £1.
Charging via USB - around 4 hours from "feed me" warning to full.

Any use?
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Adriaan12452

Thanks Bricorn.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Since there is no Kindle older than four and a half years, I doubt that somebody can comment first hand about battery after several years. But as a rule of thumb, today's batteries are new generation and if there are mobile phones 7, 8 years old and still working, I believe there's no fear for Kindle battery.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
Do I have to buy an Amazon power adapter?

My new K3 arrived today and while it came with a USB cable, it did not come with a power wall adapter.

Do I have to buy an Amazon/Kindle power adapter, or can I use a generic USB adapter? (We have a number of them around the house from assorted apple devices and other electronics.)

There seems to be varying opinions floating around the webverse and many of them seem to be dated (more than a year old).

Tips and suggestions welcome.
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Do not jump into using Apple adapters until someone confirms that they work okay. Other adapters probably work - I've been using the one from my Blackberry phone - it has the same size plug as the k3.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #11
Acextreme
Enthusiast
Acextreme began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Do not jump into using Apple adapters until someone confirms that they work okay. Other adapters probably work - I've been using the one from my Blackberry phone - it has the same size plug as the k3.
That's right, Apple adapters DO NOT work for the Kindle. At first when you plug in, it seems to be charging but if you leave it for a while, you will notice the charging amber light starts to blink; I wonder what that means. I suppose the current output was too high for the Kindle; the Apple adapter is rated at 1A if I am not wrong; too lazy to look at it now - all I know was it's 2x that of a normal USB output which should be 500mA...
Acextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Theoretically such batteries are good for about 300 recharges, though your mileage may vary. I've got cellphone batteries which have done much better than that, though of course their capacity decreases markedly.

Apparently the worst you can do with the current generation of batteries is:
(a) leave them absolutely fully charged or
(b) discharge them to absolute rock-bottom (or of course leave them that way).
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #13
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
i think its pretty safe to use a charger with same ratings.
I intend to initial charge through USB once my k3 arrives. However, if someone travelling then an adapter is a must.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Did you check to see if you can remove the USB adaptor thing to find the wall charger?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Did you check to see if you can remove the USB adaptor thing to find the wall charger?
I'm sorry -- I don't understand your question.

My Kindle arrived with the cable part of this -- but not the two-pronged wall power adapter in the top left.
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote