Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hmmm, not really, should not die like that in less than 60 min. Or in other words, did the Fire used 30% of battery while sleeping? Then there is something wrong with it.

My Galaxy SII keeps 30% for a day or more if I dont touch it, and dies when is 6 or less.

Let's say there was a minor hardware or software issue but was not normal, that is for sure.
You have to take into account what apps may be running at the time. WiFi uses battery not 30% in an hour but it does use some juice when in sleep mode and it does depend if any apps are set to check the net for stuff. Many factors come into play here.

There is no way 30% a day would last on my phone. It could last on the Fire possibly if WiFi is off and no apps are running.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Hmmm, not really, should not die like that in less than 60 min. Or in other words, did the Fire used 30% of battery while sleeping? Then there is something wrong with it.

My Galaxy SII keeps 30% for a day or more if I dont touch it, and dies when is 6 or less.

Let's say there was a minor hardware or software issue but was not normal, that is for sure.
As I mentioned earlier, you also don't know that the battery meter was calibrated yet either. It may have said 30% but actually been on 5 or 2 %.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #33
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
  • K3 manual has 120 pages
  • K4 manual has 21 pages
  • KF manual has 23 pages
The older manuals contained about 6 times the information of the new ones!
Pages != "information". The K3 manual gets to Page 9 before you have any information (other than title, table of contents) and page 30 before you're done with the physical layout and using the keypad. Page 29, for example, is about the battery indicator. Seriously. Page 26 has the following:
Quote:
To enter lowercase letters, press the appropriate letter key. To enter uppercase letters, hold down the Shift key , and then press the desired letter key like you do on your computer keyboard. Alternatively, you can press and release the Shift key and then press the desired letter. Only the next letter will be capitalized.
Page 31 defines Blog and AudioBook. Seriously. Page 36 tells you how to click-to-sort... which has been a standard computer function for over 20 years.

15 pages (75-86, 108-11) are about The Kindle Store. 7 pages are the Appendix, which is just safety and specs. And there are 39 graphics that are more than 1/2 page size (most are 2/3 page), plus many 1/5-page graphics.

I think the K3 manual was aimed at helping people new to electronics. Starting with sentences like:
Quote:
You can press the Next or Previous Page buttons to move forward or backward in your
reading material and press the Back button to retrace your steps on your Kindle.
and
Quote:
Kindle uses a high-resolution display technology called electronic paper. It works
using ink just like books and newspapers, but it displays the ink particles electronically.
Judging from the manuals, the K3 was apparently aimed at people likely to mistake it for an Etch-A-Sketch, while the Fire's manual implies a target demographic born in the last 55 years or so. For the latter, the K3 manual imparts very little information.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #34
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I reset the Fire and re-register.

Using it again. I really want to give it a try ... lets see ...

On a different topic but related, just forgot why sold my Nook Color: lack of IT books. But oh boy, the new Nook Tablet is really nice.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #35
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry about what happened with the KF. I'm not having any problems whatsoever. In fact (and I'll jinx myself) I must have gotten a Blaze. The more I use the KF, the more it smokes!

Folks having issues with web browser connections and the touch screen being flaky amongst other things? Not here!

We'll see how you like the NT. I knew better after trying the NC which is more or less the same so I went for the KF instead.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #36
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Sorry about what happened with the KF. I'm not having any problems whatsoever. In fact (and I'll jinx myself) I must have gotten a Blaze. The more I use the KF, the more it smokes!

Folks having issues with web browser connections and the touch screen being flaky amongst other things? Not here!

We'll see how you like the NT. I knew better after trying the NC which is more or less the same so I went for the KF instead.
Honestly, I like the NC better, in terms of UI and hardware (screen colors and response) Just watching Netflix you can tell; it's noticeable better on the Nook Tablet. The new NT it's not as bulky as used to be.

However, can't find my favorites IT books on B&N. And the B&N app. store is a joke. There is a better app selection and better prices on Amazon, including books.

Can I keep both? ;-)

By the way, I'm able to run Kindle app. on Nook Tablet without rooting!!!

Last edited by jocampo; 11-28-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #37
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
I'm okay knowing that the Fire is not as great a visual/technological experience as the NC or iPad. The real benefits of the Fire to me are the lower price (fell within impulse range) and Amazon's services. The books I'd already paid for, the Amazon Prime VOD that I was under-utilizing before, the free "library" borrowing... okay, it's one per month but that's a big chunk of money in a year - like three decent martinis! As I have it rooted/configured, it does absolutely everything I'd do on an IPad, but for less money and more portable, at the sacrifice of speed and perhaps some visual quality.

It doesn't have to be the perfect car, but it does get me to better parties.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #38
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
However, can't find my favorites IT books on B&N. And the B&N app. store is a joke. There is a better app selection and better prices on Amazon, including books.

Can I keep both? ;-)

Well, if you follow the advice in your signature....

Are you the one who already has 2 iPads, now a Fire and a Nook? Make a choice man, and stick with it!
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

There are a few things that can cause the KF screen's seem like it's not responding.

1. You're not familiar with a capacitive screen and how it works.
Light, feathery touches work best and patience.

2. You're using the Screen Filter app which causes some buttons not to work right or work at all. Disable when needed.

3. The sideloaded app you are using is not optimized for the Fire so it's a little buggy. This is a developers issue.

4. You have cold fingers like me (I'm anemic) Keep them warm!

5. You're using a screen protector that's cuts down on the sensitivity.

I notice the cheap screen protector I bought is causing issue with sensitivity. Took it off and no more problems. I can't wait till the other one I bought gets here. Even though it says its made for the Fire most of these were probably not tested and made before the Fire's released.

6. The screen is dirty and needs to be clean. This happens when you touch the Fire and don't wash your hands. A simple microfiber cloth will fix that.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #40
mohawk
Enthusiast
mohawk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet, Tried the Fire, Currently, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
Quote:
Honestly, I like the NC better, in terms of UI and hardware (screen colors and response) Just watching Netflix you can tell; it's noticeable better on the Nook Tablet. The new NT it's not as bulky as used to be.

Can I keep both? ;-)

This is true. I enabled the 3rd party download setting and I've got EZgo loader pro and ZDBox tools on my Nook Tablet and the entire kindle store and Amazon Apps to choose from with an alternate home page. no reason to get rid of the Nook Tablet when you can get the whole kindle library and all amazon Apps redily available on the Nook with just a few touches on the right screen.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #41
jocampo
Layback feline

Fire went off again today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
no reason to get rid of the Nook Tablet when you can get the whole kindle library and all amazon Apps redily available on the Nook with just a few touches on the right screen.
No quite.

The whole Amazon integration won't be there. And during my testing, some books refused to open, I don't know why. It's a workaround, but not an elegant solution, in my opinion.

I'm about to return the Nook Color, but what I said is true. That tablet had major improvements, is a nice alternative if you can find your books on B&N or you are not an Amazon customer.

Going back to the main topic, my Fire went off again today, min ago. No! It is 80% battery. No! No rogue apps consuming RAM or battery. It's an issue, will exchange it today.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
No quite.

The whole Amazon integration won't be there. And during my testing, some books refused to open, I don't know why. It's a workaround, but not an elegant solution, in my opinion.

I'm about to return the Nook Color, but what I said is true. That tablet had major improvements, is a nice alternative if you can find your books on B&N or you are not an Amazon customer.

Going back to the main topic, my Fire went off again today, min ago. No! It is 80% battery. No! No rogue apps consuming RAM or battery. It's an issue, will exchange it today.
It does sound like you got a bad unit. I would call Amazon and have it replaced it that way. Maybe Target got a bad batch.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #43
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It does sound like you got a bad unit. I would call Amazon and have it replaced it that way. Maybe Target got a bad batch.

Exchanged

Typing this from the new unit. Let's see ... I also returned the Nook Tablet ...
Old 12-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Exchanged

Typing this from the new unit. Let's see ... I also returned the Nook Tablet ...
I hope it works out for you better. I love mine. It's going on it's 3rd day without a charge.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #45
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Exchanged

but you have TWO iPads.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote