Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Wink Kindle Voyage Undocumented Features?

I picked up a Kindle Voyage a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it.

But I was a bit surprised to discover a few features that I haven't found documented anywhere; not in the user guide, not anywhere online. So I thought I'd share them for others to use and to see if anyone else has found more that I missed.

Library "Go To"
From the home/library screen when ordering by Title or Author, you can tap the "1/300" (current page/total pages) in the lower right corner to pull up a "Go To" dialog with page number (eg 1 to 300) or "Titles/Authors starting with". I was thrilled to see I could still do that and that it now works with more than one letter.

Quick change "Reading Progress"
While reading a book, you can toggle between "Reading Progress" modes by tapping the lower left corner. This can also be done from menu.

Pinch Zoom / Change Font Size
While reading, you can change font size (and pull up a font-size only dialog you can tap) by pinching in or out. (The user guide doesn't mention it in relation to font size in books.)

This is my first touch screen Kindle, so I apologize if I'm retreading old ground.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:49 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yup, all stuff that my Kindle Touch has done since forever. Good features, all of them.

Presumably Amazon doesn't find them very interesting.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2015, 01:12 AM   #3
romanlryji
romanlryji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle DX, Onyx Boox Note
To bookmark, just tap the top right corner.
romanlryji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #4
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanlryji View Post
To bookmark, just tap the top right corner.
True, and the bookmarking works great--but that is in the user guide.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All these things certainly used to be in the User Guide for the PW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I'm a compulsive reader so I read User's Guides but the tapping the menu page to get a dialogue to skip to another page was something I had to discover by accident. I suppose it is a conflict for manufacturers. It seems from the questions on forums that the overwhelming majority of users don't read the guide at all so they more Amazon puts in the guide the fewer who will read it.

An acquaintance was having a computer problem years ago and their very nice computer had been trashed. In talking to them, I discovered they turned the computer off by hitting the power button on the power switch while the computer was still working. I asked if they'd read in the manual that you should never do that.

"No, we didn't get that far in the manual."
I opened the manual and said, "It's on page one, in big red print."
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post

Library "Go To"
From the home/library screen when ordering by Title or Author, you can tap the "1/300" (current page/total pages) in the lower right corner to pull up a "Go To" dialog with page number (eg 1 to 300) or "Titles/Authors starting with". I was thrilled to see I could still do that and that it now works with more than one letter.
Thanks! I didn't have any of the Paperwhites, so I didn't know about that one either. I've had the Voyage since last fall.

Ok, I didn't know about pinching to change the font either, but that one doesn't appeal to me much. ;P I did know about touching the progress area on the reading page. Thanks for the page-in-the-index thing though ... that'll be VERY useful!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:54 PM   #8
tweebee
Enthusiast
tweebee doesn't littertweebee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I was wondering how my almost 2 year old son changed the font size on my Voyage and now I know that it is due to the pinching! LOL
tweebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
features, kindle, voyage