Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #1
doovers
doovers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch Dead screen

I have a kindle touch that stopped working all of a sudden. I simply turned it off when finished reading as a always do and have not been able to start it since. (No physical shock from dropping or water damage etc.)

What I've tried (after overnight charge):

1. Factory reset
2. Kubrick
3. Fastboot / diags mode
4. Replaced cable and repeated 1-3

Problem was that while I was able to get to a certain point with step 2 & 3, I stumbled at the point where I should have had something on the screen.

Since the kubrick wizard was going through each step without bombing out I would assume the kindle was responding as expected, but with no reaction from the screen, it might be that the screen itself is broken or disconnected...

Is there any way to confirm this? Or is there something else I can try?
doovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Is there anything on the screen now? Or is it just blank?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
doovers

Always blank.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
doovers

Bump!

Getting desperate here and I'm wondering whether or not to buy a new battery or screen or just give up and get a new one!

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks
Old 02-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Contact Amazon.

Even outside the warranty period, they've been known to give serious discounts on a new Kindle if your old one breaks. Maybe Amazon discounts the Paperwhite to $100 or something. I wonder if you'd be able to repair your Touch for less. You could end up buying parts, and still fail to fix it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 12:53 AM   #6
doovers

Thanks Katsunami, I had actually done that but unfortunately the prices they quoted me were not great. Because I'm in Sydney now but bought the kindle when I lived in Ireland, the shipping costs exchange rates etc. would make it cheaper to buy a new one here... I'm having the same issue with parts as I can get the parts at a reasonable price in the US but the shipping makes it prohibitively expensive. Looks like its a lost cause!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
When/If you hook the Touch up to a computer via a USB cable, does the computer recognize it normally, as a drive? I'm pretty sure that the Kindles are not recognized the same way as a USB jump drive, as hardware. The Kindle operating system has to be running normally to present the sdcard partition as a drive.

That would at least tell you if the electronics of the device are working or if the whole thing is toast. (shrugs)
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
doovers

It seems to show up intermittently but also appeared to drop the connection. However I was able to run Kubrick on it up to the point where I needed to interact with the device so it was definitely able to communicate to some degree...

Tags
screen damaged, touch