Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
andy12345
andy12345 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
please help to identify the nook hardware!

I bought a nook recently, it has the following detail:
software version: 1.4.3
serial number : 100307xxxxxxxxxxx
modem firmware: L2_0_0_7AP

I was trying to root my nook in order to install app to read pdf document with zoom function(which i wanted). after reading, I was not sure whether it has new hardware or old hardware. So I search a bit online. It seems the only way of identifying whether you have new or old version is by opening the case. However I don't feel like the open it. Hence I research a bit, and found the following conclusions:
1. the circuit boards have different layout,
in old version, they printed J4 on left hand side and C# on right hand side
in new version, they printed J4 on right hand side only
I was able to see partial of both J4 and C# on my device by remove the back cover, and look at the window where you put your microsd cards.

2. they carry different model number
for old version, it is BNRZ100 with FCC ID: XHHBNRZ100
for new version, it is BNRV100 with FCC ID: XHHBNRV100

I am not sure if the above statements are valid, so please post your result if you already rooted your nook and was sure which version you have. (Check the J4,C# and the model number)
There is another thing I would like to know. Can I rooted an old version nook by using the method applied to new hardware?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	identify.png
Views:	1996
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	62002   Click image for larger version

Name:	identify_2.png
Views:	370
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	62003  
andy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Naerymdan
Naerymdan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-505
I would like to reassure you on at least one point:

The rooting method used for new hardware works on both old and new hardware. Only the "softroot" method, using the removable storage from the old hardware does not work on new hardware.

If you want to root your Nook and possibly even update it to rooted 1.5, please us the following tutorial:

http://nookdevs.com/User_talk:Naerymdan
Naerymdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert