Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
corrupt database, (powercut), possible solution

I've just had a power-cut and on restarting, discovered that calibre's database was corrupt. Luckily I made a backup just a few days ago.

However, I have a couple of questions regarding rebuilding the database if I hadn't had the backup, from the files inside the library folder.

What filetypes aren't capable of storing all the metadata in them?

Would storing an *.opf file in the directory with each entry be able to store all the metadata needed to rebuild the database.

If it would, Could calibre do this automatically as a 'backup-redundancy' measure.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try this

calibre-debug --reinitialize-db=/path/to/metadata.db
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Kovid, It wasn't a problem as I'd backed up just a few days before and didn't actually lose any info, I was just curious about rebuilding the database from scratch, and whether storing an opf in with the entries would help, as you could store all the metadata which wouldn't be included in some formats, just in case.

For instance, have a COPY of the library, remove the metadata.db, and try to rebuild the library, would storing the opf's be a good step as reguard as to rebuilding said database.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, you can use save to disk to "unwind" your database and then add books to recreate it.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
Perkin
Guru

Could calibre then automatically store a copy of an opf in with the entries, just so if anything like this happens again, and a user hadn't got a backup (of any sort), then rebuilding would be fairly simple.

You could even have an option (perhaps in preferences, with 'Check database integrity') to 'Rebuild database from directory', which could read these opf's and rebuild the database as much as possible.
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's certainly possible, but not something that's high on my priority list.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
Perkin
Guru

I wouldn't think it would be, other things are way more worthy.
And calibre is fairly bulletproof in this regard anyway, just having the powercut made me realize what I would miss if I hadn't had a recent backup.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
I wouldn't think it would be, other things are way more worthy.
And calibre is fairly bulletproof in this regard anyway, just having the powercut made me realize what I would miss if I hadn't had a recent backup.
I had the same questions and problems. But now that I am using dropbox this is no longer a problem as if I ever have a metadata corruption and I can't recover the previous versions are available to me in dropbox so very easy to recover and I don't need to remember to backup every time after heavy us as it is done automatically.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote