Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
New Reader Journal Case (with pics)

Well I made a new case a couple of weeks ago and wanted to share the results. I have already been using a home-made case for travel but I wanted something a little more elegant, so I tried making a second case, this time out of those cool journals you see at the book stores. I already had one available, so I got out the exacto knife and half an hour later I have a sweet case that is hard, durable, and classy looking.

Here are the pictures. They are poor cell phone camera shots, my D40 not being near me at the time.

And yes, I should have picked a better first page, but I didn't it give it much thought. Actually, there is one page that covers the reader, but when I open the case it usually flips open right to where the Reader is.

What's nice is that I can put the Reader in a one quart zip lock, plop it in here and have a nice waterproof solution for reading in the tub or near the pool/beach.

Also, the top flap is magnetic so it stays shut really well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_162.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	14367   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_163.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	14368   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_164.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	14369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_165.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	14370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_166.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	14371  
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
did you cut thru all that paper and if so how did you do it? Also how did you get all that paper to stay together? I think it looks great. Nice job.
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Very classy!

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:21 AM   #4
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Cool. I would feel more comfortable with a couple of bands, one over the sony brand and another over the prs-505 name, because in the end you are probably not holding the reader, but the book. I guess it is most likely not needed, but still...
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Peto,

I am considering adding a mod to include such a band on the top. Most of the time I have my finger on the book, but it would be nice to have something holding the reader down in case the book tilts forward.

Skwerl,

I cut through the paper with an ExactoKnife. I made a stencil from a piece of old cardboard, from a cereal box and used it to trace the border. I then cut each side of the square about five times, pulling out the sheets about 10 pages at a time.

While cutting, I used paper binder clips to keep the cut pages together. After it was all done, I had to straighten out the right edge because it was sort of slanted and the reader did not fit in well. Finally, I made a mixture of glue and water, at about 3 parts glue to one part water, and mixed it up in an old medicine bottle. I brushed the mixture on to the sides first, while applying pressure to the top. Then I placed some five pound weights on the top of the case while the sides dried, which only took about 10 minutes. I then brushed the inside of the case, including the bottom.

Overall I am happy with it, but I think I will add a band on top and I have an idea to convert this into a bed tray as well.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
That is awesome I may have to get someone to make one for me...with my disability I couldn't do it but that is to cool looking. Great job !! Love it.
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote