Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Anyone writing an ereader for the playbook?

The playbook comes with kobo pre-installed...but there's no way to sideload ebooks and therefore no way to read books you didn't buy from kobo. Amazon announced a reader for playbook back in September, but it hasn't been released yet.

I have a few hundred books purchased from fictionwise and I'd love to be able to read them on my playbook. I don't have the necessary skills to write a reader myself.

Is anyone here working on one?
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Hey,

Did you learn anything new about that? Have you found something?

Thanks

Paulo
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
I have heard nothing. Mostly nothing. I read a thread over on crackberry in which people posted the responses they got from amazon when asking about the availability of kindle for playbook. Amazon had announced it back in September but it hasn't been released yet.

One of the emails from amazon said "very soon" but there are no specifics on date.

Kobo comes preloaded on the playbook. But, you cannot sideload any books that you did not purchase from kobo onto it.

I'm still hoping that some enterprising person writes something like Stanza for the playbook...
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Just FYI, I've tried using O'Reilly's Bookworm on Playbook and it actually works very well. There you can upload DRM-Free ePubs.

The only problem is that you're actually reading it online, so a network connection is mandatory. Depends on how/where you plan to use it, it could be a workaround. The mobile version is quite good for the Playbook browser.

Thanks

Paulo
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Has there really been no attempt to bring over one of the reader apps from Android? Supposedly Android apps can be easily repackaged to work on the Playbook.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert