Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Zune Hardware Bites the Dust

Microsoft Said to Scrap New Zune Models After Failing to Break IPod's Grip

Quote:
Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) will stop introducing new versions of the Zune music and video player because of tepid demand, letting the company shift its focus to other devices, according to a person familiar with the decision.

Microsoft will concentrate on putting Zune software onto mobile phones, such as those running its Windows operating system, said the person, who declined to be identified because the decision hasn’t been announced. Zune software lets customers buy songs and movies, as well as pay a monthly fee to stream unlimited music.
About time! This was totally expected. No apps = no competition

Microsoft even killed off its official forum last November after discontent from lack of apps proved too much for their fanboy lackeys too handle.

If the Zune HD had a serious app store, I would've gone that route. But it didn't and now I have an iPod touch.

No matter what MS says, the Zune died because it didn't have an app store.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I enjoyed the Zune for what it was. It was a great portable media player. It could've been so much better if there were a dedicated app market, but I got it mainly to play music and videos on the go as a replacement for my old (very old) Creative Jukebox.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I enjoyed the Zune for what it was. It was a great portable media player. It could've been so much better if there were a dedicated app market, but I got it mainly to play music and videos on the go as a replacement for my old (very old) Creative Jukebox.
Well, there are more than a few owners out there quite ticked off at MS for what they did.

My personal opinion is that MS created the HD to test out the Zune platform for their upcoming WP7 OS. HD owners were guinea pigs. Once WP7 was released, there was no longer a need to continue the HD line, considering poor sales.

As a media player, it was overpriced.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I definitely agree with the Zune as a test for WP7. I only had the original Zune 30, so I never had much experience with the HD line. Of course, it helped that it only cost me $30~ thanks to a special by Dell at the time.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
paulak39
Connoisseur
paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: IpadAir; IpadMini2; FireHDX8.9; Kindle Voyage
I like my Zune HD very much, especially for audiobooks, which I get from the library. For those wanting aps, this player is definitely not for you, and I can see why the ipod touch is preferred.
paulak39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulak39 View Post
I like my Zune HD very much, especially for audiobooks, which I get from the library. For those wanting aps, this player is definitely not for you, and I can see why the ipod touch is preferred.
It is supposed to have an eBook reading app available. Have you used it? What formats does it support. How good is it?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
paulak39
Connoisseur
paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: IpadAir; IpadMini2; FireHDX8.9; Kindle Voyage
I did add the ebook reading app, but had problems trying to add books. It wasn't worth working on it, since the screen is too small for reading, at least for me.
paulak39 is offline   Reply With Quote