Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
The Real Reason Samsung is Beating Apple - pretty amazing

The Real Reason Samsung is Beating Apple
Apr 23, 2013 01:53 PM EDT by Mark Spoonauer, LAPTOP Editor in Chief

"As Apple’s stock continues to crater — the company has lost $280 billion in value since September — a lot of pundits are pointing fingers at lagging iPhone demand. There are even rumblings about the Apple board seeking a replacement for Tim Cook as CEO, though I don’t believe he’s going anywhere. Nevertheless, Apple is losing more and more ground to rival Samsung by the day, a gap that will only widen when the Galaxy S4 debuts. The question is why — and I have the answer.

The real reason Samsung is beating Apple isn’t bigger screens or better marketing, though those things certainly help. It comes down to apps. That’s right: Apple’s biggest strength has become its greatest weakness.

MORE: 7 Things Apple Must Do in 2013"

More that is hard to believe!

When you tear off your rivals strong right arm and beat them over the head with it, the battle is pretty much over.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And as a Samsung Galaxy owner that is my biggest irritation with a very good product... I can't get rid of all the c**p that Samsung insist on cluttering up Android with... it's not that I like iPhones (I don't) and I don't object to Samsung putting lots of things on the phone but... between Samsung and my provider, I have a pile of things that I don't want and I can't uninstall most of it just like Google things I don't want...

Strangely enough, I really want to choose the apps I have on my phone and not be forced to have the stuff some faceless apparatchik insists on putting on it without providing an easy path to remove it...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
I think there's a lot of truth to that. Microsoft is doing the same thing, making the OS and built-in apps good enough that you don't need so many 3rd party apps. In other words, more like a real computer. It makes for a better overall experience, so long as you can still get all the popular standalone apps you want. With Android, you can. With Windows, not so much.

iOS's simplicity is what made it so popular. But people are now using their mobile devices more than ever and iOS has fallen way behind. It is totally reliant on developers and the quality of their apps right now, and even then it is missing major OS functionality.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I think the author has made a fair point with this article, one I'd not considered previously. My wife's coveting the Note, and it's the apps as portrayed in the Samsung adverts that are attracting her. She sees the Note as a whole package.

That isn't to say that the apps provided are necessarily better than those available on the Play store, or with an iPhone, just that the emphasis placed on Samsung's included apps in the marketing is working for her.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
And as a Samsung Galaxy owner that is my biggest irritation with a very good product... I can't get rid of all the c**p that Samsung insist on cluttering up Android with... it's not that I like iPhones (I don't) and I don't object to Samsung putting lots of things on the phone but... between Samsung and my provider, I have a pile of things that I don't want and I can't uninstall most of it just like Google things I don't want...

Strangely enough, I really want to choose the apps I have on my phone and not be forced to have the stuff some faceless apparatchik insists on putting on it without providing an easy path to remove it...
You can disable apps in Settings and they disappear from your drawer. They are still installed, but are not running and not visible.

A more drastic approach is to root and remove them, there is a list on XDA of the ones that it is safe to remove.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Bundled apps are generally seen as added value by consumers (as long as they are broadly useful and not promo-ware). Back in the day, Windows steam-rolled OS/2 with the help of software bundles--Office Suites, Encyclopedias, edutainment CD-ROMs--so Samsung is playing off a strong playbook. But Apple has been playing that game with the Mac for a while so they're not blind to the tactic.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You can disable apps in Settings and they disappear from your drawer. They are still installed, but are not running and not visible.

A more drastic approach is to root and remove them, there is a list on XDA of the ones that it is safe to remove.
Thanks, I've hidden them as you say but they're still there of course and taking up space...

Like DRM though, I shouldn't have to root (remove in the case of DRM) just to use a product I've paid for, in the way I want to... but on MR that's just preaching to the converted...
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Guys, it is confession time.

I don't use Microsoft Outlook. I don't want it. I used to use Outlook Express, and now I just use g-mail.
-- why the h*** can't I remove Outlook from my desktop? - easily.

I have tried a lot of Google android apps searching for the best of a kind. I have removed the lesser quality ones from my phone. Why can't I remove them from the Play Store?

I love Google, and all the good cheap stuff it does and gives me.
Still why can't I remove all the stuff they call (Sys) from my Droid that I don't use?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post

I don't use Microsoft Outlook. I don't want it. I used to use Outlook Express, and now I just use g-mail.

I have tried a lot of Google android apps searching for the best of a kind. I have removed the lesser quality ones from my phone. Why can't I remove them from the Play Store?

Still why can't I remove all the stuff they call (Sys) from my Droid that I don't use?
Exactly... computers, tablets, phones, they all come with stuff that some people don't want/need (that isn't essential to using the device) but can't easily remove... great that all the manufacturers seem to believe that they know better than their customers what they MUST have...
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

I gave Android a two year trial with a Motorola Atrix and a few tablets. I think it is the biggest pile of OS crap ever created. I couldn't wait for the two year contract to expire so I could go to an iPhone. I can get stuff done with apps that work. Android apps look, feel, and run like they were written by morons. Android was originally written to be put in cameras. I wouldn't want my high dollar cameras running that crap!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post

Whenever I install Office I always make sure and uncheck Outlook so it does not install.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Have to admit I was disappointed with the out of box functionality of my Nexus 7 compared to my Samsung phone had to waste a few days trying to find decent wallpapers, file browser, most basic apps and a video player that actually played my files etc.

I still think Samsung's biggest advantage is simply they aren't trying to restrict their own users thing's like being able to change batteries and sd cards are why my next phone will likely be an S4.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I still think Samsung's biggest advantage is simply they aren't trying to restrict their own users thing's like being able to change batteries and sd cards are why my next phone will likely be an S4.
I recently upgraded to a Samsung (Reverb) from an LG. One frustration I've had to look into was that Samsung either restricted or didn't upgrade the version of Android it uses to allow user to move apps to the SD card (like my LG did).

It's a nice little phone - much sleeker than the LG. But I think disabling (or not choosing to enable) the "move to SD card" feature is a big minus.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I recently upgraded to a Samsung (Reverb) from an LG. One frustration I've had to look into was that Samsung either restricted or didn't upgrade the version of Android it uses to allow user to move apps to the SD card (like my LG did).

It's a nice little phone - much sleeker than the LG. But I think disabling (or not choosing to enable) the "move to SD card" feature is a big minus.
That's actually Google's doing and the "Move to SD" thing was never worth doing anyway it would basicly move a tiny amount of the apps data to the SD card while keeping most of it still on the actual device storage.

Best thing is to use the SD card for is other files like Video, Music, Books, Offline GPS maps etc
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

I think it depends on the phone not the phone maker. I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and it allows a user to move apps to the micro SD card. The reason I switched to this phone was because the previous phone I had (LG Optimus L9) didn't allow users to move apps to the SD card. This was extremely problematic as the phone didn't have much internal storage available for apps, music, etc. Both phone run ICS, so I don't think it was the operating system. So I guess when it comes to that particular feature YMMV depending on the individual handset one has.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote