Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
No mobi support and I wonder if pdf means DRMed pdf?

Interesting that Windows CE is the operating system, you should be able to install MobiPocket and eReader if I'm not mistaken.
I suspect there is no PDF DRM in this product. It seems devoid of any real eBook support. As you say there is no real eBook software present. Hopefully we'll be able to get to the OS and install what we need although there is a lot less programs available for WinCE than for Window Mobile (see wiki for difference).

Note that the original post left out the best eBook format available on this product, that being CHM. CHM and PDF together targets this as a product for techinical documentation, perhaps text books.

I also noticed that the description on the web site says: "Read in the dark without damage your eyesight (not TFT back lit mode)" I wonder how they are going to make good on that promise. The specs do not include the statement and a light of any type is not mentioned in the included items.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The answer I see missing is "battery life?" With all those bells and whistles, I'm wondering how long even that big ol' 2100mAh battery will last.
It stated quite clearly in the PDF that it had a 5,000 page-cycle battery-charge life.

However, the EB-100 looked interesting. It's a clone of the Cybook Gen3 without the Boo reader. And it specifically states Linux 2.6. Further, it supports 4GB SD cards!!!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #18
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The open question on all of these tantalizing new e-book readers for me is "availability". The only two commercially available readers in the US are the Sony Reader and the Kindle. I don't count the Cybook, as there is only one commercial site, BooksOnBoard, and it's only available there as a bundle.

I want to walk into a retail electronics store and actually play around with 2 or 3 devices before making a purchase decision. By that criterion the only choice is the Sony Reader.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #19
alaya129
alaya129 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/Axim X50V
will be >1000$ ?
alaya129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The open question on all of these tantalizing new e-book readers for me is "availability". The only two commercially available readers in the US are the Sony Reader and the Kindle. I don't count the Cybook, as there is only one commercial site, BooksOnBoard, and it's only available there as a bundle.

I want to walk into a retail electronics store and actually play around with 2 or 3 devices before making a purchase decision. By that criterion the only choice is the Sony Reader.
NAEB also sells the Cybook. the only bundle on BOB is the inclusion of a $50 purchase coupon I believe. Including items that are optional at another dealer does not constitute a bundle IMHO. Sony includes a cover for example.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #21
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sorry?!? *ONE* commercial site??? So what is Not Another E-Book, LTD - chopped liver??? Go to http://store.naebllc.com/ and order your Cybook there.

Derek
Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
NAEB also sells the Cybook. the only bundle on BOB is the inclusion of a $50 purchase coupon I believe. Including items that are optional at another dealer does not constitute a bundle IMHO. Sony includes a cover for example.

Dale
NAEB includes the softcover in the price - and we're running $375 plus taxes, shipping and handling.

Derek, Treasurer
Not Another E-Book, LTD
http://store.naebllc.com/
Old 03-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #23
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant no disrespect, but NAEB as they clearly state in their charter, is not a commercial entity.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaya129 View Post
will be >1000$ ?
I'd like to know what the price is on their EB-100. Of course, I've gone to their website and tried to get their information, but their two listed emails don't work, neither sales@netronixinc.com nor support@netronixinc.com

Derek
Old 03-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
I meant no disrespect, but NAEB as they clearly state in their charter, is not a commercial entity.
RIIIIIiiiigghhtt... And *THAT'S* why I have to file the corporate income tax return - for none of the income and profits (what little there is)...

Yes. We *ARE* a commercial entity. We're just trying to hold our margins down in order to bring our prices lower.

Derek
Old 03-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #26
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Pardon me, but my point about retail comparison shopping is perfectly valid, despite your ruffled feathers. And why go to all the trouble to emphasize you're a "buyer's club" if you really want to be seen as an online retailer? I personally don't care and wish you well, but your identity crisis really isn't the point.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #27
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
the husky doesn't look like 4 grayscales.
I was under the impression that the Metronome display controller was E-Ink's only option at this resolution, and it supports an 8-way greyscale. The specs definitely say 4 grayscales though.

Last edited by wallcraft; 03-11-2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: 8-bits should have been 8-way greyscale
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #28
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Pardon me, but my point about retail comparison shopping is perfectly valid, despite your ruffled feathers. And why go to all the trouble to emphasize you're a "buyer's club" if you really want to be seen as an online retailer? I personally don't care and wish you well, but your identity crisis really isn't the point.

I'm not disputing that comparison shopping isn't important or valid. I'm disputing your claim we're not a valid retail entity. Yes, we are attempting to make the 'buying club' approach work, but we're clearly moving towards general retail. But we're still a commercial entity with an online presence.

Derek
Old 03-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #29
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I'm not disputing that comparison shopping isn't important or valid. I'm disputing your claim we're not a valid retail entity. Yes, we are attempting to make the 'buying club' approach work, but we're clearly moving towards general retail. But we're still a commercial entity with an online presence.

Derek
Fair enough; I concede the point - though Bookeen doesn't list you as a US retailer.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
... we're clearly moving towards general retail.
Part of the confusion may be that this movement may be less clear from the outside than the inside.

Anyway, I'm glad we've got the point cleared up.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e ink, e-book reader, netronix, pvi